Another Mash Tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsOwnDrunk

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon Gott cooler w/ false bottom that I use as a mash tun. I want to upgrade to 10 gallon batches. I
am looking to do Baltic Porter with about 7% ABV. I am wondering if the tun will be big enough.

Easily no worries bud
Edit had brain fart yes you can make 1075 og 10 gallon batch

I have a 10 gallon Gott cooler w/ false bottom that I use as a mash tun. I want to upgrade to 10 gallon batches. I
am looking to do Baltic Porter with about 7% ABV. I am wondering if the tun will be big enough.

If ever in doubt, you can use the "Can I Mash It" calculator. Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

Or, if you use BrewCipher and have entered your equipment parameters, any recipe that maxes out the tun volume is automatically flagged.

Plug your recipe into BeerSmith with the appropriate system profile data and it will tell you if your system will accommodate your grain bill , etc.

Depending on your boil off rate it might be a big challenge.
Assuming a1gal/ hour boil off and a 90 minute boil for a Baltic Porter you are going to need a minimum of 11.5 gal of wort into your BK. So, given your grain bill, you’ll exceed your MLT maximum capacity by quite a bit.
Your easiest solutions are either a double mash or another MLT.

I would suggest getting a bigger cooler. I used a Coleman Extreme 100 Quart cooler (25 gallon) for years and never had an issue mashing even the largest grain bills.

If ever in doubt, you can use the "Can I Mash It" calculator. Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators
At the default 1.25 qt/lb thickness, you can mash 25lb of grain in a 10 gal cooler (9.8gal)…

This assumes batch sparging, meaning you can easily do big beers with this cooler with just a little extra effort compared to a full volume mash.

At the default 1.25 qt/lb thickness, you can mash 25lb of grain in a 10 gal cooler (9.8gal)…

This assumes batch sparging, meaning you can easily do big beers with this cooler with just a little extra effort compared to a full volume mash.

I think you meant to reply to @GodsOwnDrunk. I'm pretty well aware of how much I can mash in my mash tun. :)

i'll just chime in to say i mash for 10 gallon batches in my round 10 gallon cooler, 7 gallons strike water, and it will still hold 23lbs malt with that....but that's to the top....

I do about 6 gallon batches from my 5 gallon mash tun. I could probably reach about 1.070 as the max for that volume though.

To hit high gravity you'll start with a thick mash, batch sparging (maybe twice) and a longer boil. If you still fall short you can add other fermentables like sugar or malt extract. Or do another mini mash and add that wort to your batch.

Basically the volume will not be a problem but the max gravity will be capped without taking extra measures.

Latest posts

Back