Another infection question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firenemus

Reaction score
Hello!
I've read quite a few posts on infection and even Revvy's "Never Dump You Beer" inspirational post, but I would still appreciate a direct response to my questions.
Here's the background: I started a Dunkleweizen at the beginning of this month with a S.G. of 1.054. It sat in the primary for two weeks and then went straight to the bottle this past weekend. Everything including the bottles was sanitized with Star-San prior to filling and capping. The gravity was 1.020 at bottling - a little higher than I expected, but I'm guessing it was due in part to the 1/2 pound of chocolate malt. Today I was looking at the bottles in the light, and above the beer (at the top of the neck) was some whitish, slimy-looking spots. These spots are only a millimeter or so in diameter, but some of it looks like the beginning of bacterial colonies on a streak plate. I'd like to think it's just some yeast flocculating (I used Wyeast 3068), but I’m paranoid noob.
So here are my questions are:
1. Does this sound like a bacterial infection?
2. If it is a bacterial infection, how should I handle it?
Thanks for any suggestions, tips, and words of encouragement.

1) No, it's being beer.

2) It's not, See #1, above.

Words of Encouragement..... You are the best ! Go get em Tiger ! Your Mother Loves you !

Bottle krausens. Carbing beer is similiar to fermentation...Yeast eats sugars and poops co2 and alchohol....Since ale yeasts are top fermenting, it works just like in your fermenter...Krauzens often get formed and then fall through to the bottom during the 3 week process... Some yeasts are more apt to do it more dramatically than others...and priming with dme sometimes makes it noticeable...

I actually have a theory that it happens all the time, but since a lot of us (except noobs, that is) just stick our bottles in a box, in a dark place and forget about them for 3 or more weeks, (instead of staring at them obsesively), we never notice it occuring.

But I've caught a few of them.

I actually have a theory that it happens all the time, but since a lot of us (except noobs, that is) just stick our bottles in a box, in a dark place and forget about them for 3 or more weeks, (instead of staring at them obsesively), we never notice it occuring.

Staring obsessively at my homebrew is definitely a problem I’m aware of and working on. But if I might add a bit to your theory Revvy; in addition to our lack of experience, I believe that many of us newbies simply don’t have enough of a stockpile to help fragment our attention. This homebrew deficiency is another issue I’m working feverishly to remedy. Thanks for your help Revvy! :mug:

Back