Another... Infected? Photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlaw3000

Reaction score
Well let me know what u think. My 3rd batch... Doesn't smell bad and tasted ok with grav sample a few days ago...

Yeast rafts look normalish.... There is a minor white/slick residue around the yeast floaters.

Also... Those large bubbles are kinda weird. Note really worried but opinions would be awesome!

image-1817664828.jpg

image-1027328152.jpg

This looks very similar to my Chocolate, Vanilla, Coffee Stout, had the same minor film and odd looking bubbles on top but turned out fantastic, no off flavors. i'd say let it ride.

Same for me, I have an altbier in a keg at this moment. It did that in the primary and the secondary but the beer tastes fine. I wouldn't make a fuss about it, but I would like to know as well what causes that.

We should name it something.... "The swamp effect" ? Lol... I was gonna wash and save this yeast too but now I'm on the fence about that... Would you re-use yeast from a ferm that looks like this?? (Wyeast 1098 )

Keep the ops coming :)

Does it come from a re-used yeast? Because It made that at my first time with harvested yeast. I though I did something wrong when washing the yeast.

Nope... Came from a FRESH (Feb 13) pack of wyeast 1098 british ale pitched on march 20th. I am very sanitary in my processes but you never know!

It looks fine to me & I'd reuse that yeast in a heartbeat - just sample it when bottling to be sure, but I'm betting you've got a nice beer ready to go.

Nice! Thanks all, any others?

Would a cold crash get those suckers to sink? Not a big fan of crashing b/c I bottle but I would be willing to give it a try

Plus I'm in CO so my garage is still cold

Back