Another IMBR? thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidoduck

Reaction score
Ok,
I've got a prehopped batch(my first) that the instructions said add the extract after the boil. I cheated and let it come back to boil before removing it. I cooled it to 70 deg, pitched the dry yeast, waited 24 hrs, nothing, then pitched another, which worked.
My Krausen started falling after two days. I kept it in a controlled fridge at 58deg, the thermometer on the carboy read 64. It has dropped a little lower in the last week, while the ambient has stayed the same.
Due to my work schedule, I have been unable to rack it. Monday would be 4 weeks. I have to bottle today or pour it out. I drew off a couple of tubes last night; it tastes a lot like the uncooked lme syrup I poured in there to start. Almost a taste in my mouth after like old iced tea. It might be harder to pin down being as it is warm and flat.
My questions are: Will this beer ever start tasting right and should I expend the effort to bottle it?
I promise I'll get this right some day - Thanks for the help!

Is it an ale? because if so that temp might be a little too low. (64 is good, but lower than 62 isn't) take it out of the fridge and leave it at room temp for a bit. How long has it been in primary? because if its less than 10-14 days, don't worry about it and leave it at room temp for another week. If you have a hydrometer take a SG reading, and compare it with what the kit says it should be/ post it on here.

read this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

You always have to bottle your beer...besides the afore mentioned thread (thanks!) unless you let it bottle condition, you are not letting an important part of the process run it's course.

You should never, ever judge a beer UNLESS it has been in the bottle at least three weeks (and more likely 6.)

But don't ever considering dumping a batch if you are only tasting it in a primary or secondary...you are missing out on the benefit of co2...carbonation affects the taste and the yeasties have another shot of cleaning up their fermenttion..

Now go and read the thread Rhymenoceros linked to...

Just bottle the sucker, store it at 70o for three weeks and start sampling. Assuming that the FG is where you expect it to be. You did ferment at either very cold or a little warm temps depending on whether this is an ale or a lager.

Flat non-conditioned beer is not supposed to taste good and it certainly can not be judged for its quality. Or else why would we ever wait.

I have never had a sample from the primary that didn't make me gag a little.

It is a pilsner, which is why I went with the 58 ambient, which is keeping my carboy temp at around 64. The temp has been inching down a little the past week, I guess because the fermentation has stopped. But it has been nearly 4 weeks in primary. OG was 1.058, but haven't taken another reading. My wine thief arrived yesterday and this morning I discovered my hydrometer broken.
I'm cleaning up to bottle - Thanks!

Back