Hopzoil Experience and Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recently there was a sponsor raffle from Corny Keg for the Hopzoil Majik product:
https://cornykeg.com/collections/hopzoil
While I was not one of the winners selected for 5 vials, Corney Keg was nice enough to send me one vial. It is a 1 ml vial of Juicy Fruitbomb. Thanks!!

Have you used this product before? Do you have any advice? What dosage gave good results? The instructions provide options for dosing individual servings (1 to 2 drops per 1L of beer) or as a replacement or supplement for dry hopping into a batch of beer (between 0.5 ml to 1.6 ml per 5 gallon batch).

I am debating about how I want to put my vile to use. I am thinking of:
  • Play around with adding drops to finished beers or to a plain commercial beer (seems fun, but a bit of a waste)
  • Brew a 2.5 gallon batch and use this 1 ml vile as a dry hop replacement (cool if the beer turns out okay)
  • Brew a 5 gallon batch, split into 2 fermenters, add the vile to half and dry hop the other half (really cool, but my brewing pipeline is a bit full)
  • Use as a flavoring for hop water (either in a keg or drops into a glass).

I was an "extra" too and got it the other day-thanks @Corny Keg too :bigmug: . Envelope smelled great. Still not sure how I'm going to test it.
I didn't see anything about storage. Should it go in the fridge to be safe? Does it matter?

The directions state .5ml per 5gal batch so I’m expecting 1ml to be plenty.
Yeah, I am wondering dosage. The "Easy" section says that 0.5 ml to a 5 gallon batch is a good place to start. The "Technical Dosing Information" indicates that 1.6 ml in a 5 gallon batch is the equivalent full replacement for 2.5 oz of dry hops in a 5 gallon batch (or at least that is how I am reading that). And that maybe 0.8 ml is the equivalent of splitting dry hopping between the extract and pellet hops. For a 5 gallon batch of a hoppy beer (IPA or NEIPA) I am likely to dry hop with 4 to 8 oz.

Should it go in the fridge to be safe? Does it matter?
Good question!

I am struggling with figuring out how best to use Hopzoil products when doing a closed transfer from fermentor to keg. Any suggestions or thoughts on how best to accomplish this?
The best process I can think of is to:
1. do a closed transfer
2. then open the keg to add the Hopzoil product
3. close the keg
4. repeatedly purge the keg with CO2
I hate the idea of opening a keg after doing a closed transfer.
The process of adding Hopzoil to the keg doesn’t seem that compatible with cold side LODO, closed transfers or spunding. Any equipment or process suggestions on how to use Hopzoil while still staying as cold side LODO as possible?

The process of adding Hopzoil to the keg doesn’t seem that compatible with cold side LODO, closed transfers or spunding. Any equipment or process suggestions on how to use Hopzoil while still staying as cold side LODO as possible?
I have seen a few solutions for adding liquid like gelatin through the gas post into a keg. One uses a large syringe attached to a disconnect post. The other uses a pressurized (and purged) soda bottle with a carb cap and jumper (Gelatin Cannon). I have used the cannon approach once for adding gelatin and it worked fine. The syringe approach seems easier, but I just need to pick up a large syringe off Amazon.

Some info on the cannon (Edit: WOW that is quite the link preview!!):

Thread with some syringe pictures:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/syringe-for-injecting-gelatin-into-keg.675402/#post-8788663

Thanks CascadesBrewer for those ideas. The Chino Cannon idea might work best here as the instructions for Hopzoil says to mix it well with 8 to 12 ounces of beer and to transfer that solution to the keg. I just need to figure out a way to do this with sanke kegs, sanke couplers and duotight fittings and tubing. Because I am using sanke kegs, the large syringe seems to be a simpler solution.

I am fermenting a APA now and also received the hopzoil. I plan on adding the 1ml to the 5gal when kegging. Interested to see how this works.
I've used both the Chino Cannon and syringe methods to add gelatin, Biofine, hop tea, etc., to carbonated kegs with general success. Haven't yet had the experience with Hopzoil or other commercially available products but think they'd be the solution (no pun intended) to hop creep and other vegetal material issues. Anxious to hear about experiences, recommendations and results from you users.

I have seen a few solutions for adding liquid like gelatin through the gas post into a keg. One uses a large syringe attached to a disconnect post. The other uses a pressurized (and purged) soda bottle with a carb cap and jumper (Gelatin Cannon). I have used the cannon approach once for adding gelatin and it worked fine. The syringe approach seems easier, but I just need to pick up a large syringe off Amazon.

Some info on the cannon (Edit: WOW that is quite the link preview!!):

Thread with some syringe pictures:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/syringe-for-injecting-gelatin-into-keg.675402/#post-8788663

I put finings and other additives such as ascorbic or back sweetener down the liquid post.
Either using syringe or sterilised bottle kegland T adapter and the red or yellow caps.
Purge it all well before filling with syringe and ball lock connector. I let the bottle back fill with beer before purging out with gas and repeated part fill and purge.
This helps it all mix well if done into pressure fermenter or inject into the transfer keg before closed transfer.
I'm still waiting to get my hands on these post boil hop extracts here to play with.
But have got some kettle extract citra which I plan to use in the near future.
I understand this works better with some simultaneously added pellets.
I'm watching for your outcomes.

I do that through the gas post. How do you get additions out of the long dip tube and dispersed into the keg?

Cheers!
Apologies for the delay in replying. Been searching for a picture to help explain as I'm away from the brew equipment.
But found some images to help explain.
Video shows the kegland T piece and two of the ball lock adapters attached. This video is showing how I " top crop " blow off yeast aseptically ( normally the bottle stands up for this).

To " inject " though I have a smaller coca cola type bottle

Needs to all be thoroughly sanitised. I do this by assembling it submerged in Starsan, this also means no air in the system (but you will purge later as well with CO2).

Prepare syringe I have a 60 ml syringe with a screw fitting but other types work and fill for example with your ascorbic, finings etc.

Then attach a gas ball lock to the top post on the bottle ( safest with a non return valve in the system), on the side post a liquid ball lock with some tube on it ( in my case a short length of silicone tube) that is open.

Inject some gas this will force the starsan out, turn off gas and pinch the tube then screw on or fit the tube end onto the syringe and inject syringe contents down the liquid line into the bottle. You can suck back some CO2 to allow you to get the tube contents of your liquid into the bottle.

Remove the liquid ball lock and the syringe from the side bit of the T.

You now have a small amount of liquid in your purged bottle.

Get a purged ( of air ) liquid to liquid transfer tube with a ball lock on each end ready.

Attach one end of the liquid transfer line with ball lock on to the side of the bottle, the other end goes on the liquid post. The pressure should be high enough in your fermenter ( if pressured at that time, if not put some gas in via the gas post) to force beer up the tube and then into your bottle it will equilibrate partly full of beer and gas. Depending on the pressure it might even fill.

Then put gas down the gas post on the T with the bottle inverted, provided your supply gas pressure higher than your keg head pressure the beer and finings etc is forced back into the fermenter. You can run some CO2 in as well to mix it all.

I normally repeat the fill and flush into the keg or fermenter a couple of times so as much of my additive is washed out of the bottle.

Then disconnect it all and clean it all up.

The still picture shows another device I now have that is a little more professional but works the same way the metal ball lock post on the ubrew4u device is a universal post so I can put liquid or gas ball lock on it. ie liquid for filling and gas to empty it and I just put the liquid connector on the top of my pressure fermenter or keg.

Attachments

• VID_20210721_003214.mp4
    4.1 MB
  • IMG_20210520_093957.jpg
    IMG_20210520_093957.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So I used the juicy bomb hop oil in this recipe. I added the entire 1ml vial at kegging. I mixed it with some of the fermented beer to get some volume and injected into the gas port with a syringe. I think this is just about right amount for 5 gal. Has a really nice fruity smell. Juicy bomb is a good name. Not overpowering at all.

Attachments

• Screenshot APA.jpg
    Screenshot APA.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
I also was one of the ones that got the 1ml (thanks @Corny Keg)

I added a drop to a glass of an IPA that i had on tap, wow at the change it made to a glass.

I also added a drop to a glass of BudLight, and it basically turned the glass of beer into a IPA, I was totally impressed.
I've been planning on ordering a couple of bottles, and carrying one in my pocket when we go out.
I'll order a glass of cheapo BL or something and add a drop and voila, pseudo IPA.

I also was one of the ones that got the 1ml (thanks @Corny Keg)

I added a drop to a glass of an IPA that i had on tap, wow at the change it made to a glass.

I also added a drop to a glass of BudLight, and it basically turned the glass of beer into a IPA, I was totally impressed.
I've been planning on ordering a couple of bottles, and carrying one in my pocket when we go out.
I'll order a glass of cheapo BL or something and add a drop and voila, pseudo IPA.
What a great idea!

Back