Another Honey Wheat...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Having visited Thunderhead Brewing in Kearney, NE last summer, and very much liking the Golden Frau Honey Wheat beer, I decided this would be something I would like to try to make.

I started with the Northern Brewer American Wheat extract kit. I did a late extract addition (1/3), but cut both the bittering & aroma hops by %40. I Added 3# of locally grown SD honey at flameout.

At 3 weeks bottled, the beer tasted somewhat like a pale ale -- the bitterness and hop aroma was very noticeable, but still not overpowering. I made a mental note to cut back on the hops next time as this was not quite what I had intended.

Fast forward 5 more weeks since the first samples to today. The beer is totally changed -- the initial bitterness and hop aroma are mostly gone, replaced with a pleasant honey aroma. The beer is awesome -- much closer to what I remember the original to be like.

From what I have read, Thunderhead uses 1.2 gallons honey per barrel. Not sure if this is accurate, but based on a weight of 12# per gallon of honey, this comes out to 2.3# per 5G beer, so I'm high (25%+) on the amount of honey (1.2*12)/31.5*5=2.3). Maybe I should have done this calculation earlier instead of winging it :drunk:

Still, if every beer tastes as good as the one I had tonight, I'm a happy camper.

Yes, definitely fun to experiment.. Luckily for me this one seems to have worked out.
I think there might be a second brewery in Kearney -- Platte Valley Brewery -- but we didn't get a chance to check that one out.

Back