Another high FG whodunnit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxwxx

Reaction score
So, it's been only a week, but after 3 days at 1.027, it looks like I'm not going to pass 1.020. Any thoughts on what's up?

Malts: 16lb Vienna, 1.5 lb acidulated malt
Mash: 15 minutes at 150, then 45 minutes at 154 with slowly added boiling water (I think about 1/2 gal).
OG: 1.073
Yeast: 1 pack dry Nottingham, rehydrated in 95 degree water which dropped to 75 by the time I pitched.
Fermentation: Aerated with a sanitized eggbeater taped to a cordless drill (yeah.) Water bath in a fridge at 64. No bubbling for 24 hours, lots of activity for the next 36 hours, then very quick dropoff. Gravity has been at 1.027 for the past three days, as mentioned above.

Currently: at room temperature, swirled for 10 seconds and mildly hopeful.

Who killed my FG? Was it the eggbeater in the fermenter with the drill?

Definitely needs more time. 1.073 is pretty big to expect full attenuation in 1 week with good temps. If you really think the fermentation is stuck though, warm it up to 67-68 and let it sit for another week.

Edit: what was expected FG?

I agree 3 days is kind of soon to worry but in addition, how sure are you of the thermometer you used for the mash? If it is not calibrated you may have mashed higher resulting in less fermentable wort.

Hmm, yeah, good points both.

The thermometer is the analog turkey- roasting type, could be the weak link. It will measure boiling water as 200 degrees, now that you mention it. The FG was supposed to be 1.020, so I guess not impossible if I warm it up and rouse the yeast.

Thank you both for telling me what I already knew but was too stubborn to admit to myself.

Dont feel too bad i know someone who did their first AG as a IIPA mashed at 163 or something...needless to say it wasnt drinkable when it bottomed out at 1.040 apparently lol.

Back