Another Gas to Electric Conversion build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the process of converting from propane burners to electric, goal is to be able to do 10 gallons back to back. I've been parting things out for over a year and finally have sometime to make it happen.

In the process of converting from propane burners to electric, goal is to be able to do 10 gallons back to back. I've been parting things out for over a year and finally have sometime to make it happen.
I'm showing collecting parts as well. I'm following theelectricbrewery.com model. I'd be interested to see your build and how it goes.

control panel instrumentation full size (colored) (noline).png
View attachment 586674

so after a bunch of versions here is what the face of the panel will look like, right now its looking to be printed in vinyl.

Last edited:
I did this earlier in the year (automated propane to electric 50amp)... you'll love it. No more trips to refill propane tanks and with the 50amp setup i'm able to fire two 4500 elements and get to mash temp within 30 mins. The kettles stay cleaner as well... no scorch marks up the sides or yellowing. Also, the saved weight in removing 3x BG-14 burners and the piping makes wheeling the cart around much easier.

One side note, if you're printing that straight off I feel i should mention the yellow "valves" text in the bottom right looks miss-spelled.

Slowly is the word. I'm converting from Propane to Electric, and everything from wiring 240 to the garage to getting the necessary parts has been a journey to say the least. It's as if the Propane Gods are doing everything they can to prevent this.

In no particular order:

Ready to get the electricity connected, but the electrician has a death in the family; delayed a week (not his fault, obviously).

DIY kit for the panel shows up; delay while I seek out the proper wiring and terminals, which are not included.

Electrician gets back to finish connections; we install the 30-amp GFCI breaker and when he switches it on, the switch breaks. Order another one and send the old one back for refund.

Kettle is ready to do a good test batch, only to find the inserts to connect dip tube and whirlpool arm are gone, and have to be re-ordered from the company. One week delay.

Order counterflow chiller; estimated time of arrival upon ordering is 3 weeks later than noted on website. Wait.

Parts out of stock. Ready to rock but fittings till are MIA.

So, at least based on my experience, anyone who's converting to electric and think they're going to get there in a week is in for an interesting time.

bottom croped .jpg

Control panel Bottom mock up. I'm very happy with how this turned out. Using a jigsaw for the XLR's was time consuming but it turned out to cleanest

more detailed version of the wiring diagram. I'm still cleaning it up and consolidating some of the wiring.

Attachments

• wiring diagram 240 V2 detailed.pdf
    114.5 KB · Views: 94
Good lord, that looks more powerful than the computers they used to send Apollo missions to the moon!

In fairness, the average cell phone dwarfs all of the computers used on those missions put together many times over.

But that is one hella impressive panel just the same. My OCD is pleased :D

Cheers!

Back