Another fruit fly question(a bit different)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Projectfdw

Reaction score
-Dead fruit flies in airlock for a few weeks
-airlock was filled with vodka
-Decided to add some more because the level was low
- a few of the flies blew back into the fermentor
-og: 1.065. Current is 1.010. So am I getting an infection or should I be ok?

So

Projectfdw said:
-Dead fruit flies in airlock for a few weeks -airlock was filled with vodka -Decided to add some more because the level was low - a few of the flies blew back into the fermentor -og: 1.065. Current is 1.010. So am I getting an infection or should I be ok? So
the fruit flies were dead because of the vodka and they were already dead once they got into the beer. Doesn't mean the beer will be fine but there is really nothing you can do hit finish it up and see what happens

I can't for the life of me understand why people use vodka as an airlock liquid. Simply use the star san that you already made for sanitizing your fermentation vessels, etc. Vodka (alcohol) attracts flies. It is instinctual for them to be drawn to the smell of it, because it occurs in natural decomposition, which they are constantly on the move and looking are for. I don't even see any economic value of bothering.....

Your beer will more than likely turn out just fine. The flies were attracted to the vodka as posted earlier, and I also agree with the StarSan suggestion. Not to mention, the second they submersed themselves in the vodka, they were pretty much sterilized, so I wouldn't sweat it much.

I can't for the life of me understand why people use vodka as an airlock liquid. Simply use the star san that you already made for sanitizing your fermentation vessels, etc. Vodka (alcohol) attracts flies. It is instinctual for them to be drawn to the smell of it, because it occurs in natural decomposition, which they are constantly on the move and looking are for. I don't even see any economic value of bothering.....
Fruit flies are attracted to CO2. Why again shouldn't people use vodka in an airlock?

The vodka should have killed and acetobacter on the fruit flies. If not, make some fish and chips

They are drawn to the scent of the blow off gasses... I've had some in my airlock when I used starsan.

Back