Another First AG Post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtdigger

Reaction score
I did my first AG today, an Alaskan Amber clone.
I used a bag in an electric turkey fryer for my MLT. I did that mostly because I have a friend who wants to go to AG, and saw it on HBT. He has yet to buy any AG equipment. I already had the turkey fryer, so I played guinea pig. I ended up with 66% efficiency. OK for my first rodeo, I guess.
I'm sure the turkey fryer method could be perfected.
However, I have a 56 qt cooler I'm going to convert and go with that in the future.
As has many others, I have learned an incredible amount from the folks here on HBT. Many thanks to all.
The addiction continues!!!!
:mug:

I have my new system implemented and I only get about 66% as well. But I am very happy with the beer that I can produce. Try not to get too hung up on efficiency right now. I've only got about 15 AG batches under my belt, but the last four beers I brewed I have really loved.

Keep it up if you like the final product!!:mug:

Where was your grain crushed? That can make a big difference in efficiency. A lot of times the brew store will not have as fine a crush as your typical mill setting (want to mill the grain fast and not have mechanical issues). If you end up using the cooler you will probably gain a little in efficiency and even more if you start crushing yourself. Either way your gonna be making great beer. Its just good to know your system so you can predict the results.

This is addicting isn't it? :mug:

Where was your grain crushed? That can make a big difference in efficiency. A lot of times the brew store will not have as fine a crush as your typical mill setting (want to mill the grain fast and not have mechanical issues). If you end up using the cooler you will probably gain a little in efficiency and even more if you start crushing yourself. Either way your gonna be making great beer. Its just good to know your system so you can predict the results.

This is addicting isn't it? :mug:

Thanks for the feedback. LHBS did the crush. I've read a lot on mill settings, as relates to efficiency, and a mill is definitely on the wish list.
As for the fryer, it would need some modifications, false bottom, first of all, to give some better results.
People seem to have good results with the coolers, kind of a known commodity. So I'll get going on that and start building the process database.
As you say, knowing the equipment to get some predictability is the key.
I'll get there...just have to brew more...drink more...brew more....well I'm sure folks know what I'm talking about!

Latest posts

Back