Another fermentation thread....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschupner

Reaction score
OK, so I cooked up an American Amber ale three days ago(yes, it's my first batch). After 24 hours there was still no action in the air lock. So of course I had to peek inside to see what was going on. To my surprise there was a thick krauzen, nice and foamy. So I sealed it back up and let it sit. Now being three days I was expecting to see some action in the air lock by now, but NOTHING. So I figured now that the grommet for the bucket is just probably not getting a good seal. So I looked inside again and all my krauzen is gone. It definitely smells like beer, but the fermentation can't be done already can it??

Probably is. Kinda depends on temperature and the specific beer, but it could certainly be done by now. Just give it a couple more weeks to clean itself up and settle out clear. Then rack to the bottling bucket and add priming sugar and bottle it.

You just made beer.

And yes, it was just a leak. That's why it is preached that airlock activity means nothing.

Now being three days I was expecting to see some action in the air lock by now, but NOTHING. So I figured now that the grommet for the bucket is just probably not getting a good seal. So I looked inside again and all my krauzen is gone. It definitely smells like beer, but the fermentation can't be done already can it??

Most likely a small leak. All it takes is a tiny one to keep it from building up pressure. That's why you hear it said every day here to not worry and leave it alone if the airlock isn't bubbling.

You obviously had fermentation going on. Leave it undisturbed for at least another 2 weeks before taking a hydrometer reading.

Yup. You had krausen, You said it smells like beer. Put the lid back on and forget about it for two weeks. I have two batches fermenting right now and I am in another state for the next couple weeks, so I cant look at it even if I wanted to! Yet, I worry not.

I am a total noob here...like I said first brew. Aren't you supposed to move to secondary after about a week? Then let sit at least another 2 weeks? Or should I just leave in the primary for two weeks, then to secondary? Or skip the secondary and just bottle?

Here's what I would do:

- Leave it in primary for 3 weeks. Take a gravity reading 3 days before the 3 weeks is up and take another reading at 3 weeks from brewday. If the numbers are the same, the gravity is stable and fermentation is complete, making it safe to bottle.
- Rack the beer to your bottling bucket, and start bottling.
- Secondary is entirely optional.
- Let it sit for 3-4 more weeks to condition and carbonate.

Or skip the secondary and just bottle?

This one.

Also, if, after two more weeks has passed, you have the ability to cold crash it to 40*F for two days before bottling, that will help to clarify it rather nicely. If not, just rack it over into the bottling bucket, prime and bottle.

LovesIPA said:
Here's what I would do:

- Leave it in primary for 3 weeks. Take a gravity reading 3 days before the 3 weeks is up and take another reading at 3 weeks from brewday. If the numbers are the same, the gravity is stable and fermentation is complete, making it safe to bottle.
- Rack the beer to your bottling bucket, and start bottling.
- Secondary is entirely optional.
- Let it sit for 3-4 more weeks to condition and carbonate.

+1 I only do a secondary if I plan to add fruit or some other flavoring to the brew

Back