Another Fermentataion chamber build/?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilehighBrew

Reaction score
HI everyone

I am about to start my project and I am curious if I will be able to achieve lager temps in my project. Here is the idea, in my garage I will be building a 8 foot long, by 3 foot high, and 2 foot deep cabinet out of 2x2's 2" foam insulation and 2 foot wide doors(4). On top of the insulation I will be glueing the hard plastic dry erase board material, the doors and top will be nice 3/4' plywood. On one end I will be putting in a small dorm fridge without the door. I then will be putting zones in with a moveable end cap that I can move in 2 foot increments all the way to the end. This will be clamped in place depending on my size needs. Ex. 4 foot area for a couple of carboys, 6 feet or 8 feet of conditioned space depending on where I place the internal spacer. I live in Northern CA (Sacramento)and summers can get pretty warm, I am curious if a small dorm fridge with a well sealed insulated box can keep 48 sq' of space conditioned to lagering temps. I will be sure to post pics along the process.

Tailwinds

I don't think so man, not for lagering temps. Your idea sounds cool, but have you ever thought about a chest freezer with a temp controller? That is what I have now and it works great! $50 craigslist freezer and about $50 for the controller.

I have thought about that, but I don't really want to go with a chest freezer. My Calc is a bit off because the space the fridge takes up will not be conditioned and I could always make my lagering space the smaller portion and when just doing Ales expand it out. I would think I could get 4-6 feet or 24 sq' down to a lagering temp.

Back