Another degassing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collitchboy

Reaction score
Good morning all. I have made wine in the past but this is my first attempt at a large batch and my first time trying to do everything right (sanitation, degassing, etc.).

My first batch of SkeeterPee (5 gallons) has finished at 0.996 and I bought a 5 gallon paint stirrer from Home Depot. I aerated the mixture everyday and produced a decent amount of foam that dissipated almost immediately. When using the drill mounted stirrer I produced nearly no foam until I got near the top of the must (introduced air which is bad, I know).

What are the odds that I just do not have a lot of dissolved CO2 or is the paint stirrer a crappy way to degas? Am I just going to have to rely on a taste test to 'feel' if it has excess CO2?

Thanks!

Just curious. How long has the batch been going?

You shouldn't worry about degassing until after the wine sits a while. 14 days is just getting going. Let it rest a couple more weeks, then degass.

Back