Another decoction questions: Rice Hulls!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
As you might have noticed from my other thread, I'm contemplating my first decoction mash. In preparation, I'm wondering when I should add rice hulls...

Should they be in the mash from the very beginning (and therefore are being boiled with the grist), or stir them in after decoction...or at some other point?

I'm probably overthinking this, but I appreciate the help.

I don't do decoction mashing, but if I did I would think you could add the hulls towards the end of the mash. Stir it up good, let the grain bed settle, and then start the vourlauf.. Just my opinion...

I don't do decoction mashing, but if I did I would think you could add the hulls towards the end of the mash. Stir it up good, let the grain bed settle, and then start the vourlauf.. Just my opinion...

Thanks, will-do! :mug:

As you might have noticed from my other thread, I'm contemplating my first decoction mash. In preparation, I'm wondering when I should add rice hulls...

Should they be in the mash from the very beginning (and therefore are being boiled with the grist), or stir them in after decoction...or at some other point?

I'm probably overthinking this, but I appreciate the help.

Unless your grist bill has large amounts of un-hulled and potentially sticky materials like flaked barley, wheat, oats, etc there is no need to add rice hulls, decoction or infusion mash. :mug:

Yes, you are over-thinking it.

I noticed you are making a hefe with malted wheat. While malted wheat has no hulls it doesn't have the sticky reputation of flaked grains.

Why are you using rice hulls? If it is a wheat based beer, and you're using rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge, then they can be rehydrated and added to the mash prior to the sparge.

Why are you using rice hulls? If it is a wheat based beer, and you're using rice hulls to avoid a stuck sparge, then they can be rehydrated and added to the mash prior to the sparge.

Yes, I was adding rice hulls to avoid stuck sparge. I'm planning a Dunkelweizen with possible decoction and I thought it had a possibility of stuck sparge?

There's 6 lbs of wheat and 4 lbs of munich (plus other smalls amounts of specialty grains).

No need for the rice hulls?

Yes, I was adding rice hulls to avoid stuck sparge. I'm planning a Dunkelweizen with possible decoction and I thought it had a possibility of stuck sparge?

There's 6 lbs of wheat and 4 lbs of munich (plus other smalls amounts of specialty grains).

No need for the rice hulls?

I don't tend to get stuck sparges, but if you do the rice hulls won't hurt! A couple of handfuls into the mash (after you pull the decoction) would probably be helpful.

Back