Another Caster Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrostar

Reaction score
I need to get Casters for my brewstand ASAP. I have looked and looked and researched and researched but I don't know what to get. I have a 2" square tube 16 guage stand and tried welding some ****ty harbor freight ones on there but I don't trust it one bit. I've seen a lot of different casters out there but I am looking to have threaded casters and I just don't know what inserts to get with them. Anybody do this recently and have good luck with a specific vendor and easy install? Thanks ahead of time, I'm not some guy who didn't research it, just not sure what to get and don't want to make a mistake and have to ship it back at my expense.

What about welding a plate to the frame and then secure the caster to it. Then you could either bolt them on or even tack weld them.

I used these on my stand and they are holding up well so far. All i did was find nuts that matched the threads, drilled holes in each corner then welded the nuts over the holes.

Decent quality casters at very reasonable prices are all over Ebay. I got a set of two fixed and two swivel casters (nice combo for steering), all of which lock. I think I paid ~$30 for the set. They are 4" with ball bearings for the swivels and wheels.

HTH.

Adam

adamreef said:
Decent quality casters at very reasonable prices are all over Ebay. I got a set of two fixed and two swivel casters (nice combo for steering), all of which lock. I think I paid ~$30 for the set. They are 4" with ball bearings for the swivels and wheels.

HTH.

Adam

But how did they mount to your frame? That's the issue I'm having.

What's wrong with the ****ty ones from habor fright? I've got 4 of the locking type welded on, melted the plastic ball bearing guide just a bit, but they work just fine, rated for 125 lbs each and only 3.49!!
I welded some flat steel to the bottom of the 1.5" square heavy wall first, the welded on the caster.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-swivel-caster-with-lock-95356.html

GEDC0056.jpg

GEDC0055.jpg

My single tier is built from 1.5" square tubing and I am using four of these total locking all-metal 4" casters with expanding inserts
3A5BKX-EXR-ML.jpg

They have inserts for up to 2" square tubing...

castercity.com

Cheers!

My single tier is built from 1.5" square tubing and I am using four of these total locking all-metal 4" casters with expanding inserts
3A5BKX-EXR-ML.jpg

They have inserts for up to 2" square tubing...

castercity.com

Cheers!

Day_trippr, I'm wondering if you have and pictures of what these look like on your rig. Have your had any issues with the caster coming loose?

OneHoppyGuy said:
I doesn't get any simpler and the inserts are rated at 1250# each

Hoppy, can I get the part numbers for those inserts and casters please? That's 2" right?

The inserts link has a configurator. You make your selection based on tube size, tube wall size and stem diameter/thread pitch

Back