Annoyed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennsyltucky

Reaction score
So... I'm browsing craigslist and I find a whole fridge conversion kit (tap, shank, coupler, co2, etc) for $25!!! I email the guy like three times on my day off saying I'll pick it up whenever. He replies saying "tomorrow"... well, "tomorrow" I have to work (and the next day). So I call him and make arrangements to pick up the stuff my next day off (i.e. one more day). I even say if someone has cash in hand I understand you have to sell it. He says "no, I'll hold it for you".....

So, what is the next thing I get?? An email, saying "someone picked the stuff up, sorry."

ugh. I would have an easier time giving up something I "missed" on ebay, CL, whatever... but dude said he'd hold it for me and totally welched on the deal. I'm annoyed!

Yga gotta be "Johnny-on-the-spot" with CL stuff. Same thing happened to me last year with snowblowers. Somebody always gets there ten minutes before me! But he did say he'd hold it. Kind of a D-bag for selling then.

I emailed a guy about a $75 kegerator and he never got back to me. Figured it was gone. Three days later I get a freaking spam news letter from the guy about buying conversions kits to go with kegs from CL. WTF?!

Lame

Guy here in atl has nipple shank/faucets or sale $25 a piece.... Took me 2 weeks to coordinate buying 3 of them, had one left as of Tuesday. If you're not nearby maybe he'll ship it.

But bottom line, cl people are flakes most of the time.

Most people I've talked to on CL tell me flat out, first person with cash gets the item. Makes sense to me. If they say they'll hold it for you, probably means they are hedging their bets in case nobody else shows. Kind of an arsehole thing to do, but it get stuff sold.

I put an ad on craigslist and am now getting spammed to death. I love CL, but you have to watch out for generic emails like "I WANT IT", because as soon as you reply, they've got your email.

I get like 10 emails a day that has to do with bosley hair restoration now :mad:

Always have people call instead of email.

That's why I use a very generic email host (would use my own server, but CL has a rule against using a DSL-based email host) so I had to go with Yahoo or something.

If you think it's annoying to be a Craigslist buyer, you should try being a seller sometime. I buy and resell PA equipment, and for every item I usually get about 25 e-mails of people interested, 10 that say they are on their way to pick it up, and 9 people who never show. Like it was said above, put the cash in my hand, it's sold!

Or, the seller had another guy on the line. He told you he'd hold it for you for $25, he told the other person that he's holding for you for $25 and the other guy said he'll pay $50 and come get it in 30 minutes.

The many reasons posted here are exactly why I'm annoyed... NOT surprised!

Oh well, would've been a sweet deal. All I really wanted was the CO2 tank, the rest would've been a bonus.

I'm comforting myself by brewing Denny Conn's Rye IPA and setting up my fermentation chamber.
:mug:

I sometime feel like there is an art to buying things on craigslist.

When buying:
-check your email often to respond to people fast
-go get things as soon as possible never wait until tomorrow
-I like to regularly low-ball people on things I think are over-priced (It never hurts to ask)
-If someone is far away ask if they will meet you half-way somewhere

When selling:
-post in your ad as big as possible "IF YOU CAN STILL SEE THIS AD I STILL HAVE THE ITEM" (prevents 9,000 emails of "is it still available?")
-first person to show up with the cash gets it
- tell everyone its CASH ONLY... some d-bag tried to pay me with a check once...
-never ship to anyone
-make people call you and meet them at the front door, don't let them see all the nice stuff in your house
-ALWAYS ALWAYS put a picture of the item on CL
-post your email and phone number (some people are too timid to call you)

I sometime feel like there is an art to buying things on craigslist.

When buying:
-check your email often to respond to people fast
-go get things as soon as possible never wait until tomorrow
-I like to regularly low-ball people on things I think are over-priced (It never hurts to ask)
-If someone is far away ask if they will meet you half-way somewhere

When selling:
-post in your ad as big as possible "IF YOU CAN STILL SEE THIS AD I STILL HAVE THE ITEM" (prevents 9,000 emails of "is it still available?")
-first person to show up with the cash gets it
- tell everyone its CASH ONLY... some d-bag tried to pay me with a check once...
-never ship to anyone
-make people call you and meet them at the front door, don't let them see all the nice stuff in your house
-ALWAYS ALWAYS put a picture of the item on CL
-post your email and phone number (some people are too timid to call you)

I use CL all the time, and have had great success doing just these things. I'm
just pissed that the guy said he'd hang on to it for me (even after I said I understand if someone beats me to it with cash) and then gave it to someone else... on top of it the guy lives so close I could walk to his house!

Like I said, I'm not surprised at all... just annoyed. I'm still kicking myself for passing on two 20# CO2 tanks for $40 each too. RDWHAHB right?

Thought I would take this opportunity to brag about some of my CL scores from the past :mug:

I scored all the guts for a double tap system for $100:

Got this nice smoker for $75:

:fro:

If you think it's annoying to be a Craigslist buyer, you should try being a seller sometime. I buy and resell PA equipment, and for every item I usually get about 25 e-mails of people interested, 10 that say they are on their way to pick it up, and 9 people who never show. Like it was said above, put the cash in my hand, it's sold!

+1. You have about a 1% chance of people showing up. And even less than 1% chance that they are courteous enough to inform you that they are cancelling.

Selling on craigslist isn't a very enjoyable experience lol

You just gotta make it clear that the first one that puts the money in your hand is the one that walks away with the product. And as for buying, you gotta realize this too, even if the guys says he is holding it. I NEVER tell someone I'll hold an item for them, cause they never show up. First come first serve.

Thought I would take this opportunity to brag about some of my CL scores from the past :mug:

I scored all the guts for a double tap system for $100:

Got this nice smoker for $75:

:fro:

You blow! :mad: $100 for that setup is insane...however you overpaid on the smoker...got mine as a hand me down for free :rockin: Mooohahaha

I'm with TopherM on this one, I've sold things on CL before and it really is a pain in the ass. Lots of people interested, many "coming later" . . . you can't hold something for a different person day after day for two weeks if you are trying to be rid of something.

I realize it sucks for the buyer, but hey, money talks.

Latest posts

Back