Anheuser-Busch Acquires Remaining Stake in Kona Maker Craft Brew Alliance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They paid how much of a penalty to NOT complete the acquisition a few months ago, about the time they had to forego the IPO of their mainstream Asian units and make a quick sale to Asahi to satisfy creditors and rating agencies, and now they go back and pay even more? I have absolutely no doubt this makes perfect strategic sense from their perspective, somehow. Just shows how elusive their strategy can be if you are looking for it to have anything to do with beer, brewing, or breweries (like how the acquisition of a hot mess of crap like Platform plays into manipulating brand equity of products like Bud Light, but that's another story.) Anyone who thinks big beer has any interest in craft beer per se, whether to prosper it or destroy it, is drinking something funny...

brace-yourself-abinbev.jpg

now they go back and pay even more?

The deal that expired in August was to buy the rest of CBA that they didn't own for $22-24.50/share; they had to pay a $20m fee (just over $1/share) for not going through but now they are paying $16.50/share.

Plus it makes them #1 "craft" brewer by volume, and they avoid having to pay a royalty of $30-40 per barrel on their international sales of CBA products that kicked in this year.

Why do they want to acquire everything?

It's just business. Got to GROW GROW GROW!!!

I think what they are missing is, if they had a good product, people would just buy it. Having to crush the competition to increase sales, to me, is a very poor statement about your core products desirability and salability .

Couple years ago I picked up a six pack of Bass. It had probably been at least fifteen years since I last had one. First swallow from the first bottle I knew something had changed. Doing some research I found they were now owned by AB-InBev. So, they were putting Bud in Bass bottles, or at least tasted like it. I emailed AB, they said nothing had changed. I replied back "BS".

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited:
With Bass it's worse as they brew it in the US (although not as bad as Heineken's treatment of Newky Brown which isn't even made to the same recipe in the US). Cask Bass is outsourced to Marston and is still something like the original.

Back