Analog or Digital temperture control for freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrathbone

Reaction score
Just picked up a 5.5 cu. ft. chest freezer off craigslist for $20. Only 5 blocks away too :rockin:

Anywho, I'm going to use it as a fermentation chest, and am looking at the temperature controls. Is there any huge benefit to the digital vs. analog ones? I imagine the digital ones would allow me to be more precise in choosing a temperature, but with the analog ones I don't think the degree difference would have any effect.

The digital ones let you choose how often your fridge turns on and off so you can put less stress on it and it will last longer

Put another way, most (but probably not all) digital controllers allow you to adjust the deadband width. This can be adjusted to make sure that your fridge isn't cycling too often (by widening the deadband) or running for too long (by shortening the deadband).

In all cases, I have a hard time telling the difference in the final product. But you can't compare the cool looks of the love controller.
Personally I have two standard Johnson controllers because I'm cheap and I need my beer to be cold, not the looks.

Back