An entire propane tank on a single brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
So I got an anvil outdoor propane burner for my birthday, and Sunday I tried my first full boil outside. I cracked a brand new tank for it, and I noticed that the gauge on my tank showed low propane by the time I finished.

I thought I had read a tank should last around 4-5 batches. Was my tank not full, or is my burner drawing more propane than it should? What is everyone's experience with this?

I have am Anvil burner and I brew about 13 gallons at time in a keggle. I can get about 4-5 brews out of a full propane tank.

You either got ripped off on the amount of propane or you have a leak somewhere.

Pick up the tank and feel how heavy it is now compared to when you started. I have heard that those gauges are very inaccurate.

I get at least 3 batches though I use 2 tanks on 2 burners, and use my grill with them also, so I don't know exactly.

The only way to "gauge" your actual use of propane is to weigh your tank before and after the brew session. The difference in pounds is your actual propane use.

Other factors that will influence how much propane you use:
How large is your kettle?
How large was that batch?
Was it very cold and/or windy?
How long did you boil for?
Is there a large space between the burner and the kettle?
Does the burner have an adequate windscreen?
How far did you open the valve? Burning at full bore will waste a lot of energy (gas).

Also know that most prefilled propane tanks you buy (e.g., Blue Rhino) are only filled 80% of their intended fill level.

Under non-extreme circumstances you should indeed be able to boil 3-5 5 gallon batches per tank. If you recirculate your mash, about 3.

i burned through roughly half a tank on a single brew day with the bayou classic the other weekend. This was due to 50* slightly breezy weather.

also get tanks filled at uhaul, they fill to as full as possible.

i burned through roughly half a tank on a single brew day with the bayou classic the other weekend. This was due to 50* slightly breezy weather.

There's a huge space between the burner and the kettle on those Bayous. Build a windscreen from some aluminum flashing, or better yet, modify the base to bring the kettle closer to the burner.

Propane pricing at U-Haul varies widely, but the good thing is, they only charge you for the weight added to the tank. In most cases a U-Haul refill at 100% is less than buying a Blue Rhino at 80%.

The only times a swap for a Blue Rhino, or alike is beneficial, is when the hydro testing date has expired. It's 10 years for propane tanks.

BJs has great propane fill pricing, but you do need a membership.

I used to get my tanks filled at a local gas station. When they closed I went to a rental outfit. Call around.

I have am Anvil burner and I brew about 13 gallons at time in a keggle. I can get about 4-5 brews out of a full propane tank.

You either got ripped off on the amount of propane or you have a leak somewhere.

I have an Anvil as well and get 3 - 4 brews from a bottle of propane. Depends if I do 10gal batches or not.

Yes, you must have gotten shorted. 4-5 brews of 5 gal batches here.

Always refill when you can, the exchanges always short filled.

There's a huge space between the burner and the kettle on those Bayous. Build a windscreen from some aluminum flashing, or better yet, modify the base to bring the kettle closer to the burner.

Propane pricing at U-Haul varies widely, but the good thing is, they only charge you for the weight added to the tank. In most cases a U-Haul refill at 100% is less than buying a Blue Rhino at 80%.

Wind screen and flashing have really helped me! I don't have a Bayou, but the flashing I put on mine helps keeps the flame focused on the bottom of the pot.

DIY wind screen. Was the first test with it, but I could probably have moved it closer.

BRMDVgu.jpg

DIY wind screen. Was the first test with it, but I could probably have moved it closer.

It helps, but does not prevent a lot of heat leaking away around the sides.

The Anvil burner is like the opposite, they seem to have no gap between the shield/kettle supports and the kettle itself. I guess they work well, just wondered how the exhaust gasses get removed when it's that tight.

It helps, but does not prevent a lot of heat leaking away around the sides.

The Anvil burner is like the opposite, they seem to have no gap between the shield/kettle supports and the kettle itself. I guess they work well, just wondered how the exhaust gasses get removed when it's that tight.

Unless its airtight itll be enough.

The cinder blocks even being as far away as they were kept the ambient air 10* higher. I had my inkbird sitting on the block where the propane tank was hiding behind.

Im betting if I had actually butted up the back of the burner to the rear "wall" and moved the sides in a tad it would have been even better.

I just wasnt sure how close I could get them and still have room to move it and what not.

I seem to get 3-4 batches and I go 8 gallon batches which usually means heating 10-11 gallons of mash water. I have a standard Bayou Classic burner.

I too have heard those gauges aren't accurate, best to weigh it. You should also always have a spare tank, that way you can run one empty and not worry about it. I wrote it down, but if I recall, an empty tank was around 18.4 lbs.

I have a Blichmann burner, and like petrolSpice above, I average 3-4 batches with full volume 7.5G strike water in a 10G kettle.

I use a propane fill station that charges per gallon so you get what you pay for. They sit the tank on a scale, then open the small relief screw on the tank's valve. When the open screw starts hissing, they shut the filler off. Their fill station is like a gasoline pump's gauge, and an empty 20# tank typically takes 4.5 gallons of propane. They charge me $2.49 per gallon currently, so an empty tank runs around $11. I am a firm believer in paying per gallon as this prevents rip offs.

Whoa! That's really amazing!
Never got that on a Blichmann.
I get my tanks filled at Uhaul and they fill it up full. The Blue Rhino tanks are only about 75% full due to shipping (so they say).
I have a Blichmann and get 5-6 six gallon brews out of a tank. This thing sips but having the right settings make a difference. You don't need to go full on with the Blichmann......at least I've not after 2 years and am still loving it.

More effective than a cinder block wall around the burner is to tighten up the space between the burner and the bottom of the kettle.

Check local tractor supply for propane refills. Not all do them. Mine is half the price of uhaul and I can get a fill for about $8.

Yes, you're so right, Tractor Supply!

I forgot to mention them. They do have great prices on propane refills. My local one is in a strip mall, so they aren't allowed to fill.

No such animal on O`ahu (Tractor Supply!)
Home Depot charges $25 for a full tank if you swap an empty Blue rhino.

Ugh! And that's for only 75-80% fill level. Otherwise it's nice living there, from what I've heard. :mug:

What brand of burner do you use? I am trying to figure out if I can use my Anvil with natural gas.

I'm pretty sure you can, just exchange the orifice for an NG one.
And you'll need a hookup.

Have you weighed your tank yet? I'm curious how many pounds of propane you actually used.

On a side note, between the mosquitos in the summer and the cold winters I've moved indoors using an induction plate. I simply love the flexibility it offers. When I miss the smell of propane, hearing the hissing and the enjoyments of outdoor brewing I visit one of my friends on their brew day.

Ugh! And that's for only 75-80% fill level. Otherwise it's nice living there, from what I've heard. :mug:

I'm pretty sure you can, just exchange the orifice for an NG one.
And you'll need a hookup.

Have you weighed your tank yet? I'm curious how many pounds of propane you actually used.

On a side note, between the mosquitos in the summer and the cold winters I've moved indoors using an induction plate. I simply love the flexibility it offers. When I miss the smell of propane, hearing the hissing and the enjoyments of outdoor brewing I visit one of my friends on their brew day.

I am considering getting one of those brass converters - i have a natural gas line already that was installed for my grill. basically from there to the converter/hose and then into the anvil. im just nervous about it, dont want explosions :)

i havent weighed the tank yet, but as you are the second person to suggest that, ill report back with what i got.

Costco has good prices on Poopane fills. I can get it filled for about 7-8 bucks. But - like BJ's - a membership is required.

It's a lot cheaper then $20+ swap that is not filled all the way.

Ok so as a previous poster suggested, the gauge is probably inaccurate. The neck says the TW is 16.6, and the tank weighs 29.6. The problem is that I did not weigh it prior to its first use; but at least I know theres still propane in there! I also weighed another tank that I thought was empty and it sits at 26.6.

Just checked out some weights. Here on O`ahu
Full blue rhino can weight 38.1 lb
Empty can 16.6 lb
-----------------------------------
Weight of propane 21.5 lb

I weighed my tank throughout a few brew days. It seems I average about 4 pounds per brewday. Heating strike water, sparge water and boil. Now I know if the tank will make it through a brewday or not. Good to know since I also use it for grilling.

FYI

A truly full "20# propane tank" contains 4.6 gallons (20#) of propane.
This is the 80% fill level, the maximum allowed.
The 20% headspace is needed for expansion, which all those size tanks provide for, as well as an OPD (Overfill Protection Device).

The Blue Rhinos (and the like) prefilled exchange tanks are typically only filled to 75% of that maximum, so you'll get only 15# of propane.

I get 2 to 3 off my ****y turkey burner and thats with 8 to 10 gal batches if its ine ot tge stiker gauges i tgink they base it on temp.unless u have a leak but u would smell that .

FYI

The 20% headspace is needed for expansion, which all those size tanks provide for, as well as an OPD (Overfill Protection Device).

The Blue Rhinos (and the like) prefilled exchange tanks are typically only filled to 75% of that maximum, so you'll get only 15# of propane.

This is good to know. My hardware store puts the tank on a scale but fills to 5.0 gallons. I always wondered how full that really was. I guess it is really full.

This is good to know. My hardware store puts the tank on a scale but fills to 5.0 gallons. I always wondered how full that really was. I guess it is really full.

Awesome! I guess 10% more or less from the targeted fill level is a workable margin and still be considered safe. 10% more means at least 10% fewer trips for refills. I wouldn't put it in the sun, or store in a hot car while shopping at your supermarket or worse, LHBS or beer store...

I should check with one of my 3 ACE stores and see if they fill propane. They are all in strip malls though, which puts restrictions on use.

I know the one hardware store that has a U-Haul franchise fills propane, but their gallon price was relatively high at the time. They're great and very friendly people there, though.

FYI

I got a lot of this information from this site. Not sure how accurate it is, but the numbers sounds familiar from what I remember reading many places elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back