Amy Winehouse dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have some respect folks. Someone died. yeah real funny. What if it was your daughter?

This wasn't an accident. It kills me how people are these days. She had been to rehab many times, she knew what she was doing. She commited suicide if anything. Charlie Sheen won't be too far behind in my book.

onthekeg said:
This wasn't an accident. It kills me how people are these days. She had been to rehab many times, she knew what she was doing. She commited suicide if anything. Charlie Sheen won't be too far behind in my book.

It doesn't matter if her death was suicide, murder, accidental, from illness or natural causes. It's still an occasion for sadness, in my opinion.

Addiction is extremely powerful. More so for some. It is easy to sit back and call someone an idiot for ultimately killing themselves. Doesn't mean it's not tragic.

Meh, she let down fans and people who respected her by destroying herself. I went throught it with my all time favorite drummer from my absolute favorite band a few winters ago. Regardless of the person it is still saddening but you can't help but feel a little betrayed by the person.

It doesn't matter if her death was suicide, murder, accidental, from illness or natural causes. It's still an occasion for sadness, in my opinion.

I totally agree. Making jokes about someones untimely death is beyond disrespect. Really bad behavior.

Addiction is extremely powerful. More so for some. It is easy to sit back and call someone an idiot for ultimately killing themselves. Doesn't mean it's not tragic.

This is faulty logic, because if I had somebody in my family that was that much of a disheveled, rotting zombie, thanks to personal choices, myself, and others, would first to try to help steer them in a better direction. Which her family did. If that failed once or twice, we’d realize that the individual simply doesn’t want to improve their odds of living. Then, when they die of their demons, it’s their fault, and their fault alone. Sure there is a loss, but its not like it was a car accident. I hope they are cracking jokes about me at my funeral. I guess it depends on the type of person you are.

This is faulty logic, because if I had somebody in my family that was that much of a disheveled, rotting zombie, thanks to personal choices, myself, and others, would first to try to help steer them in a better direction. Which her family did. If that failed once or twice, we’d realize that the individual simply doesn’t want to improve their odds of living. Then, when they die of their demons, it’s their fault, and their fault alone. Sure there is a loss, but its not like it was a car accident. I hope they are cracking jokes about me at my funeral. I guess it depends on the type of person you are.

I'm assuming you don't know anyone who has committed suicide

Ok, don't fall off you're high horses, some people deal with tragedy through humor, get over it.

_

No, suicide is stupid. One of my best friends commited suicide. All it does is cause grief for the ones who loved them.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Clann. Its possible for suicide to be both stupid and tragic, no?

wildwest said:
Ok, don't fall off you're high horses, some people deal with tragedy through humor, get over it.

And I'm not sure that expressing an opinion that this death is an occasion of sadness merits a 'get over it.'

Sometimes dark humor can be the best, its humor and tragedy all wrapped up together. No one's right or wrong in this, its both.
Perhaps this is an example of a thread that could use a little more restraint and civility from posters, in the interest of keeping the conversation friendly. There's been some chatter about keeping hbt convivial and inviting, this might be a time when we could practice that together.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Clann. Its possible for suicide to be both stupid and tragic, no?

I can agree on tragicly stupid, and selfish to add another. I did'nt mean to sound bad but suicide kinda hits close to home, he was a neighbor growing up and into adulthood. Killed himself at 25 yrs old.

But life goes on:tank:

Some people behave totally different to others regarding the deaths of total strangers. I don't see why either "side" in this issue should be preaching to others on etiquette. We are all different, and no one has said anything thus far that was completely over the top IMO.

No one's on a horse here, but it may look that way when viewing from the gutter.

OH SNAP! But seriously, anyone close to her is probably not cruising this board so I see no reason to take offense to any comments made. I just try to keep in mind that we are all just insane apes waiting to expire while hurtling on a giant rock through space... when you look at it like that, the whole thing doesn't seem so tragic.

Tragecomedy. If we were always sad at every sad event in our lives, we'd live very sad lives.

I think there is room for recognizing the tragedy aspect in some things while coping with your favorite sense of humour.

And I'll save my real grief for people I actually care about, not screwed up celebrities with whom I have no connection. She has her family and friends to grieve for her.

Finally, when it comes right down to it, someone is dying every second of every day somewhere. Care to grieve for them all?

I'm assuming you don't know anyone who has committed suicide

FWIW I had a best friend kill himself over a girl the first year out of high school. I also had a close neighbor kill himself in the 70's when the ag industry was going down the tubes. Then I had a close cousin kill himself because his wife was cheating on him 2 years ago.

I know suicide. Its cowardly, hurts those closest to them, and isn't an answer for any problem. Any other nuggets of wisdom I should "learn" about?

This thread is tragic.

There is an estimated almost 7 BILLION people on the rock in space. And I am supposed to feel sorry, even grieve, for 1 junky that just so happened to be sober long enough to grace the airwaves with her voice?

Sorry. Not going to happen.

Had she not had Music going for her very few would care or even know. Saddest part of all this is that her mechanism for fame is likely what fed her addiction. Fact is, she's lucky to have survived to see 27.

Q: Why did Amy Winehouse snort artificial sweetener?
A: She thought it was diet coke

Q: What's the difference between February and Amy Winehouse?
A: February makes it to 28!

Too soon?

OK, just for the record, just how much should we be supposed to "Grieve" for these people like Kurt Cobain and Amy WInehouse, who took the money from the kids, and gave them a lesson in how excessive drug taking makes you cool and famous? What about the stupid impressionable junkie kids they may have left in their wake? Some of those will die some day too, with nobody to mourn for them.

Having said all that, I don't believe that these "Stars" should be held responsible for these idiots, but let's face it, a star's fame DOES have influence on those weak, impressionable twots.

Or even someones son or daughter, that platoon sergeant must have been a real *******.

That PSG is someone who has seen far too many dead.

Some of them died putting their lives on the line for other people. You don't have to see much of that before you lose sympathy for people who destroy their own lives.

FWIW I had a best friend kill himself over a girl the first year out of high school. I also had a close neighbor kill himself in the 70's when the ag industry was going down the tubes. Then I had a close cousin kill himself because his wife was cheating on him 2 years ago.

I know suicide. Its cowardly, hurts those closest to them, and isn't an answer for any problem. Any other nuggets of wisdom I should "learn" about?

I agree that it is selfish and causes pain for their friends and family. One of my best friends killed himself freshman year of college. That doesn't make it not sad or easier to deal with because you can blame them alone...that's what you mentioned in your first post. You made it sound like, "oh well I tried, you're a dumbshvt for killing yourself". I don't see how you can look at a suicide like that if you care for the person.

Suicide is selfish? Not as selfish as calling someone who committed suicide selfish because it upset THEM! ;)

Edit: Oh yes, for full disclosure, my grandfather topped himself. It was probably the best way out for him, and easier in the long run for his family.

Suicide is selfish? Not as selfish as calling someone who committed suicide selfish because it upset THEM! ;)

Edit: Oh yes, for full disclosure, my grandfather topped himself. It was probably the best way out for him, and easier in the long run for his family.

Lets just all go have a beer and chill. mabye I've had a couple too many.
Again, sorry for anyone who has had to deal with suicide or death.

Lets go back to the miniskirt thread.

There's this little song she did on her first album "F' me pumps" (you can look it up on youtube). She's rocking an adorable figure, not covered in tats, and singing like a kid who seemed to be destined for stardom.

I think it's pretty sad what happened to her. Yeah, she was a trainwreck and really good fodder for the tabloids but there are PLENTY of trainwrecks who have defied the odds and are still alive for some strange reason.

Andy Dick

Charlie Sheen

Courtney Love (I swear that woman really IS a vampire - there is no good reason she should still be living given the **** she has done to her liver)... speaking of liver..

David Crosby and his 2 livers (Love the musician, but the dude was a train wreck too at one point in his life)

Tommy Lee

and of course, Keith Richards

R.I.P. Ms. Winehouse. You really did live, and die by your own rules.

Again, sorry for anyone who has had to deal with suicide or death.

This is a perfect thread to highlight the intricacies of Internet interactions.

In person, we'd know where we each were coming from, but on here it's just a bunch of guys (and a few gals) trying to figure each other out.

By virtue of my employment, I've seen more dead bodies than I'd like to admit. If I had to take a guess, close to 200. Two of those people died in front of me, one looking me right in the eye. None of it ever bothered me. Hell, a few even seemed interesting. But then I made a decision and a guy died because of it, and soon after I saw a 17 year old girl shot and killed for something another person did. Two years later a guy I worked with killed himself because he hit a parked car when driving drunk.

I've learned that death sucks a$s and if you still have breath in your lungs you should really not do anything that might help it find you. If you do, well, you won't get sympathy from me.

We all face crappy things differently. I've seen the smallest dude on the block walk into a gunfight and the biggest dude hide behind a girl in a little fight. Everyone reacts differently, and unfortunately, that doesn't translate well over the Internet.

This is a perfect thread to highlight the intricacies of Internet interactions.

In person, we'd know where we each were coming from, but on here it's just a bunch of guys (and a few gals) trying to figure each other out.

By virtue of my employment, I've seen more dead bodies than I'd like to admit. If I had to take a guess, close to 200. Two of those people died in front of me, one looking me right in the eye. None of it ever bothered me. Hell, a few even seemed interesting. But then I made a decision and a guy died because of it, and soon after I saw a 17 year old girl shot and killed for something another person did. Two years later a guy I worked with killed himself because he hit a parked car when driving drunk.

I've learned that death sucks a$s and if you still have breath in your lungs you should really not do anything that might help it find you. If you do, well, you won't get sympathy from me.

We all face crappy things differently. I've seen the smallest dude on the block walk into a gunfight and the biggest dude hide behind a girl in a little fight. Everyone reacts differently, and unfortunately, that doesn't translate well over the Internet.

I just thumbs upped this post. Not for the deaths or your reaction to them, but because its a great example of civility and cordiality on HBT.

:mug:

I hate to bring up another thread - wink wink - but in all honesty, the problem is not this forum, the mods, or anything else. It's inherent to the Internet. If you can't look a man in the eye you'll never never know his true feelings, period. So therefore, unless one of the involved parties commits to ignoring the oft-encountered miscommunication, there will almost always be an argument.

I'm outa here on account of that there are some things I want to say that simply won't be taken well. It's just not worth upsetting people over.

Back