Amount of coffee for 2 gallons of stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadingzero

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a stout and bought two 3 gallon carboys and plan to split the 5 gallon batch of stout in these carboys. I want to leave 3 gallons as is and I would like to put coffee in the other 2 gallons.

I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendation for the amount of coffee used for 2 gallons of stout? Everything I've read are only for 5 gallons. I'm a regular coffee drink and like it strong.

I would also like to know sanitizing procedures for the coffee.

Thanks in advance!

-leadingzero

I've made a two gallon batch of stout and "dry-coffeed" with 4 oz of my father's homeroasted beans (coarsely crushed) in a hop-bag...it gave an intense coffee flavor and aroma...my father and i loved it, but non-coffee drinkers don't like it at all...no need to worry about sanitizing the beans (in my experience) the alcohol in the beer at that point is a pretty tough thing for any bugs to overcome.

I brewed a 7.5 gallon batch of porter the other day, and am planning to give 2.5 gallons the coffee treatment in a couple weeks.

I've made a two gallon batch of stout and "dry-coffeed" with 4 oz of my father's homeroasted beans (coarsely crushed) in a hop-bag...it gave an intense coffee flavor and aroma...my father and i loved it, but non-coffee drinkers don't like it at all...no need to worry about sanitizing the beans (in my experience) the alcohol in the beer at that point is a pretty tough thing for any bugs to overcome.

I brewed a 7.5 gallon batch of porter the other day, and am planning to give 2.5 gallons the coffee treatment in a couple weeks.

Thanks! So you wouldn't brew the coffee? I think I like the idea of grinding and putting it in a hop bag and steeping the beans. I'm going to do it this weekend and I'll let you know how it turned out. Thanks!!!

I made a very strong 2 cup pot of coffee for mine and added it when bottling... not a ton of aroma but I got good bite from it. a combo of 'dry-coffeeing' and brewing might be amazing.

I used 1 cup of Dunkin Doughnuts whole bean coffee in 4 gallons of stout and thought it was a tad bit too strong and thought one cup per 5 gallons would probably be apropriate. I would recommend about 1/3 cup based on my experiance and preferance.

if you want to brew the coffee, i would cold-brew it overnight in the fridge and add it at bottling/kegging. cold-brewing will avoid any harsh bitterness from the coffee that could clash with the hop bitterness in the stout. my vote though is still for adding coarsely crushed beans to secondary...doing so is essentially like cold-brewing except you are using beer instead of water to extract the coffee flavor and aroma...

I used 24 oz of cold brewed coffee for my 5g of stout and it was awesome. I just put 3/4 of a cup of ground coffee into a french press with cold water and let it sit for 2 days in the fridge. It had all the coffee taste with none of the bitterness or acidity.

if you want to brew the coffee, i would cold-brew it overnight in the fridge and add it at bottling/kegging. cold-brewing will avoid any harsh bitterness from the coffee that could clash with the hop bitterness in the stout. my vote though is still for adding coarsely crushed beans to secondary...doing so is essentially like cold-brewing except you are using beer instead of water to extract the coffee flavor and aroma...

I think I'm going this route. Since I'm only adding the coffee to 2 gallons of stout I think steeping is the way to go. I don't want to introduce water to such a small amount of brew. Should be good! Going to get this done this weekend and when it's bottled (probably another 3 weeks from now) I will let you guys know how it comes out. Thanks for all the input!!!!!

This is just an update on how the brew turned out. I only had one hop bag on hand and couldn't get 4 oz of coffee through the carboy opening. I reduced to 2 oz and was able to get it in to the carboy without a problem. I'm glad I only used 2 oz. I turned out great with enough coffee to be noticeable but not over bearing to the stout. Props to dedhedjed! Thanks for the advise. Think I'm going to do this again with a porter! Cheers!

glad it turned out. I have a coffee porter bottled now that is great...definitely go for it with the porter.

Back