Ammo Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a guy on the local news the other day who owns a gun shop in a small town nearby. After finding that some one he sold a bushmaster to for $900 resold it online the next day $2200. He says he is not raising his prices and doesn't fell others should either over the hysteria. Consequently quit selling to people that were not previous customers. He said he has had people at his front door in the morning waiting for him from 3 states away, and gets 50+ calls a day from people from over 100 MI away wanting to know his inventory, or if he has this or that.

He was currently 200 firearms below his normal inventory, and had 200+ special orders. What used to take 3-5 days to get, now he can not even get a shipping estimate. The warehouse just tells him they will notify him before shipment.

Did you find any 30Carb?

I just got back from another gun show in PA. No one would sell my friend a shotgun because we are from NY even though it is perfectly legal for them to do so. I guess I'm done going to shows for awhile. I did manage to pick up two 15 round Glock mags for $50, not bad at all.

Individuals or Dealers? If it is an individual per ATF you have to go through an FFL now. the "neighboring state" clause no longer works.

Some states still say it is legal, but Federal says no. Some people don't care, others take it to heart. Living near cities where you cross state lines every day you realize how asinine that law is.

If it was dealers refusing to sell. that's just stupid.

If it was dealers refusing to sell. that's just stupid.

Dealers, both of them. I was shocked. Two weeks ago I had no problem buying a .30 Carbine at a show run by the same company (although, one table did refuse to sell to me).

They both said that they weren't willing to sell to people from NY "until your laws get figured out". Unfortunately, they are figured out. That said, nothing changed in regards to shotguns or common hunting rifles, so I was a little pissed off quite frankly. He as looking for a very basic Mossberg 500, no pistol grip, collapsible stock, nothing.

I found a store nearby willing to make the sale, but they didn't have what my friend was looking for.

No sir. There was literally one box of 20 at the whole show. The box looked older than me, no exaggeration. The guy wanted $30. I declined.

Last time I went to the range, I fired off 1.5 mags of 45ACP dated 19 what remained of the box had a fabric tab you pulled to open the top of the box. It went off just fine, and the burning cordite smelled wonderful.

I have some really old shotgun shells and a box of .30-06 military rounds produced just after WWII. But I got them for free! There's no way I'm paying premium prices for old ass ammo. I'm probably going to put some Prvi Partizan on back order from Cabela's. I'm sure I'll get it before I need it.

Stopped at Wal-Mart over lunch today, thought I'd take a peek at the ammo counter. They had 35 boxes of Federal 9mm ($12.99/box) and one box of 1000 rds of Winchester X22 .22LR for $48. They have a 3 box total limit per person per day. Bought the 22 and 2 boxes of the 9mm.

The guy behind the counter said they just put the ammo on the shelves about 40 minutes earlier. They originally had 6 boxes of the 22 and 48 of the 9mm. It was literally flying off the shelves. He also told me they were putting out a DPMS AR15 on Friday. They barely had it out of the box, when some guy came in and bought it for $600. Told the employee he was going to sell it for a nice profit at a gun show the next day.

It's just crazy out there!

$600 for an AR? Lowers are going for that much on gunbroker right now.

Only because that's what some middle men and some stores are doing. I have not seen any evidence that manufacturers have raised their prices significantly.

But, yeah, $600 for an AR sounds like a really good price. Heck, that's roughly what I paid for my Colt Sporter Match HBAR circa 1991, and that was through a friend with a FFL and minimal markup.

$600 for an AR? Lowers are going for that much on gunbroker right now.

I just picked up 5 New Frontier Arms lowers this past weekend for 98.00 each.

The FFL friend I got them from had 500 of them and sold them all at the gun show for 150.00 each.

What I am going to do with them.? Sit on them for now.

I have stopped at Walmart 3 times to check their ammo supply and there have always been sold out of .45, 9mm, .40, .357, .38 and .22LR....In fact only one time did they have any 12 ga target shells! It is simply nuts! I'm glad I started reloading about 15 years ago and have enough brass, bullets, lead, powder and primers to last until after the zombie apocalypse. Assuming I do ZERO target shooting.

Online, handgun bullets aren't too hard to find. I've been checking at least 10-15 sites daily just to keep track of the prices and supply. Last night was the first time I found .30 carbine for normal prices though. Every other time I saw it available, the prices were inflated a lot.

I just picked up 5 New Frontier Arms lowers this past weekend for 98.00 each.

The FFL friend I got them from had 500 of them and sold them all at the gun show for 150.00 each.

What I am going to do with them.? Sit on them for now.

I found a New Frontier lower for $150 but my friend told me to stay away from them because of the polymer. I've been a Glock person for my entire adult life though, so I'm not sure I agree with him on that one.

I found a New Frontier lower for $150 but my friend told me to stay away from them because of the polymer. I've been a Glock person for my entire adult life though, so I'm not sure I agree with him on that one.

ABG..Thought the same when I saw them. Not sure I would want to get into Zombie battle with it , but pinking steel should be fine.. But then again I beat the crap out of my glocks and no issues.

After the AWB these will go up in price.. and if not , I can get what I paid.

May build myself a .22 AR for cheep pinking because trying to fine 9mm, .223 or 5.56 ammo in my area is next to impossible..

Online, handgun bullets aren't too hard to find. I've been checking at least 10-15 sites daily just to keep track of the prices and supply. Last night was the first time I found .30 carbine for normal prices though. Every other time I saw it available, the prices were inflated a lot.

Handgun bullets or cartridges? I just checked Midway USA and they are almost completely out of .40 S&W cartridges of any brand!

Cartridges. If you keep checking, they pop up and then disappear quick. I was considering pickup up some 9mm but decided against it to use my money for .30 carbine instead.

Cartridges. If you keep checking, they pop up and then disappear quick. I was considering pickup up some 9mm but decided against it to use my money for .30 carbine instead.

I'm not going to add to the hysteria. I have enough ammo to get me by in the event that it suddenly dried up worldwide...but that will never happen. I do miss target shooting though!

Agreed. I only bought 250 rounds. I was told by a few people that they estimate that the ammo situation will go back to normal in about 9 months.

And then the price will drop because many people bought far more ammo than they will use and will not need to buy at any time soon.

Happened 4 years ago with components. I could not get primers to save my soul so when they did show up I bought a case of each that I use. I figure I am set for a very long time

And then the price will drop because many people bought far more ammo than they will use and will not need to buy at any time soon.

Happened 4 years ago with components. I could not get primers to save my soul so when they did show up I bought a case of each that I use. I figure I am set for a very long time

I got into selling once fired brass for a while back then. It bought me a bunch of premo loading equipment and other stuff. Fortunately, when it dried up I was really low on inventory so I didn't get stuck with a bunch that I couldn't use. My mail person wasa glad when it was over, I had a bunch of heavy flat rate boxes boxes.

The primer shortage has been off and on for years. I remember several years ago there was a "shortage" my dad and I were up in WI and there was talk about it and some guy says there's no shortage, I have a truck load of them. How many cases do you want. He then took us over and opened a semi trailer and it was full of primers. I think we bought a case of each, and sold half of them off to friends, and kept the rest for free.

I was in at Gander Mtn. last night and they had a whole display of 9mm 100rd boxes of winchester for $29.99. Got a couple boxes to go target shooting with. I'm noticing things are starting to drop. AR's is coming down pretty quick it seems like too.

Was at Cabelas this weekend and their shelves are wiped clean. Any 9mm ammo they had was 30 bucks for 50 rounds. No .223 ammo. 7.62 ammo was still fairly cheap. Was looking at AR parts yesterday and noticed the BCG I have is now going for 350!!!! I paid 89 bucks. This has everyone running out to buy guns and ammo. I think the NRA and Gun companies are all part of the government. They will use this money to buy the CIA hookers.It's all a conspiracy!

Anyone had trouble getting 12 or 20 gauge Turkey or Deer loads or any other hunting ammunition?

Glad I keep 'a few' in the inventory @ all times. Plus reloading...

Anyone had trouble getting 12 or 20 gauge Turkey or Deer loads or any other hunting ammunition?

Haven't seen much of a problem getting 12ga shells of any sort, but since I do hunt with .223, .270, and .308, I've seen the typical issues with the .223 and .308 not being available in anything other than the ultra premium super bullet loads that sell for $30-$50 per box of 20. .270 is around for the most part in standard priced loads but the shelves aren't exactly overflowing either.

When I was at the store last night, There were plenty of shot shells on the shelf here. But forget 9mm, 45acp, .223

I helped a friend get 15 cases of MRE's in return for 300rds of 9mm. He's getting a crazy deal, but since I only arranged for the MRE's and didn't pay for them, I consider it a fair trade.

Was poking around looking at reloaders. Even those are sold out everywhere.

People are bidding up used reloaders over brand new prices on e-bay.

Hello! Reloaders are not going anywhere folks!

Crazy. People. :mad:

I just yesterday got my carry permit. took 10 weeks! I paid for the expedite which was supposed to be 4 weeks. Guess there is a little bit of a backlog huh?

I just yesterday got my carry permit. took 10 weeks! I paid for the expedite which was supposed to be 4 weeks. Guess there is a little bit of a backlog huh?

Lucky it only took 10 weeks, when I got mine in NY a couple of years ago it took just over a year. I'd hate to see what the wait is now.

People are bidding up used reloaders over brand new prices on e-bay.

Hello! Reloaders are not going anywhere folks!

No....but if you can't get ammo in the caliber you need or don't want to pay high prices guess what the next hot ticket item is?

I check a few different internet scouring sites multiple times a day looking for ammo. Different calibers are coming up more often, but many retailers have raised prices too high for my liking. Whenever I find something in stock at normal prices, it goes FAST! I'm decently stocked right now, so I'm only buying when I find good deals.

A couple months back I got in on a moderately good deal on new mfg. 7.62x51 M80. Watched 60,000 rounds disappear in less than two hours. Every time I hit the browser's refresh button the count of cases dropped one or two.

Found a 420-rd ammo can of Lake City 5.56x45 M855 on stripper clips for a decent price not long ago too. Should have bought both cans they had...

Latest posts

Back