American Whiskey Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSincavage

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm new to homebrewing, just brewed my first kit a couple weeks ago. When I ordered the kits, I was sent the wrong yeast for one of them...I got American Whiskey Yeast instead of the kölsch yeast I needed. The company sent me the correct yeast and let me keep the whiskey yeast. Since I really don't want the whiskey yeast to go to waste, is there something I can use it for besides brewing whiskey...Would it be good for certain beers or wine?

Thanks!

Try brewing a high gravity RIS, barleywine, or similar?

My guess is the yeast is just made with high alcohol tolerance in mind. Give it a shot and write a quick summary of what happens!

Try brewing a high gravity RIS, barleywine, or similar?

My guess is the yeast is just made with high alcohol tolerance in mind. Give it a shot and write a quick summary of what happens!

Thanks for the advice, I will try that!

Id probably toss it and get the yeast you want. Better than making a sub par batch.

You'll make beer with it no doubt though.

Reusing ingredients just for the sake of not wasting them can lead to some less than great beer.

Id probably toss it and get the yeast you want. Better than making a sub par batch.

I agree with this. I wouldn't want to put out the amount of money for a barleywine or RIS to blow it on a $3 pack of yeast.

You'll make beer with it no doubt though.

Reusing ingredients just for the sake of not wasting them can lead to some less than great beer.

Well, assuming it's WLP065 it even says it's suitable for high-gravity beers on the packet. You might call it a waste but I'd be interested in what came out.

Yeast strain that produces low ester profile and moderate fusel oils. Temperature and alcohol tolerant and suitable for American-style whiskey using barley or corn base. Also used in high-gravity beers.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Ferment Temp: 75-79°F (23-26°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: High

If it were me I'd make a small experimental batch of something high gravity like soot suggested, plan it so you fill up a gallon jug after primary for aging. That way you won't be tying up any of your regular vessels, and if you hate it you won't have spent much on ingredients. You probably don't even need a starter, at most a small one if the yeast is not fresh. Could be a nice experiment.

Latest posts

Back