American Wheat Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbaker

Reaction score
Hey all, time for the annoying newbie question of the hour.

2 weeks ago I brewed a gumballhead clone and it has been in the primary for 15 days as of today. FG was reached when I did a measurement on day 7 and matched on days 10 and 13. Knowing that nothing else is going on how long is too long for wheats? I'm getting conflicting information from friends regarding wheats and some think it should be moved asap while still young, and others tell me to leave it on the yeast to clean up after itself. I don't want to start a big secondary fermentation debate...I've already decided with my first few batches I was going to transfer to a secondary to better learn the process and have something to compare to in the future in terms of clarity. I need to move to secondary where I plan on dry hopping for a week or so...but would my beer be better off to remain on the heavy yeast sediment in the primary for another week or would you go ahead and move this weekend and start dry hopping?:drunk:

If you want to secondary, go for it.

Most beers with OG under 1.060 are not going to benefit from an extended period in the fermenters and are best enjoyed fresh.

Edit: Extended= more than three weeks

Excellent! Thanks for referrencing the OG measure, that makes alot more sense to me than styles.

there's no need to secondary just for dry hopping. You can dry hop in the primary with the same results, and there's nothing about a secondary that would cause the yeast to floc out more than the primary. Using a secondary is more personal preference than anything, and is by no means necessary on the homebrew scale.

oops missed that part. its up to you, if gravity is stable theres no reason not to move it. if you leave it the extra week, more yeast n such will floc out, the cake will be tighter, and less will transfer along, but then you have to wait another week. its all personal preference at this point

Cool, thanks! I wish I had added some irish moss, because at this point it isnt clearing out in the primary and the yeast has pretty much settled itself comfortably. I wanted to toy around with a secondary so I had something to compare it to as in the future I wouldn't want to mess with transferring. I guess you're right, its all personal preference! I need another 6.5 carboy...if we are being 100% honest I just want to test the 5g carboy so I can have the big boy for the next batch this weekend! lol

Back