American Wheat, beta glucan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
I am doing an american wheat beer with a 1:1 ration of pilsner and wheat malts. I am going to try fly sparging for the first time and I am concerned about the "gumminess" of the mash. Last time I did a wheat beer I had a stuck sparge. Since I was batch sparging it wasn't a huge deal. I see beta glucan rests done for unmalted grains where the mash can become thick and gummy. My question is would my mash benefit from a 20 minute rest at 110? Would this make it easier to lauter? The brew day is tomorrow, and I have no access to rice hulls. Thanks.
Cheers

Just yesterday I did a weizen using 47% pilsener and 45% wheat. I did a "decoction" (which was really more of a step mash, in retrospect), and did stops at 97*, 118*, and my mash at 154*F. There was a nice thick layer of coagulated protein on top of the grain bed, and I lautered and sparged just fine. Now I did do a batch sparge, but still, I noticed a difference between this beer and the last one that I did with a significant (but actually lesser amount) of wheat.

Back