American Pale Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have been trying to nail down a great APA.....here is what I have came up with. thoughts?

16 gallon batch, mash at 153
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 3.0 %
27 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 80.6 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 6.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Cargill) (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.0 %
1 lbs Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.0 %
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 10.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 9.9 IBUs
3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.8 IBUs
3.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 10 18.0 IBUs
3.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 11 -
3.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days

The grain bill looks excellent

The hops schedule good too. I've only had Summit in a single hop series and wasn't impressed, but I could see it pairing well with Cascade/Centennial. It looks like you're going more for the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale style where its well balanced between malt and hops. Many of the newer pale ales are basically IPAs turned down 25%. I say brew it!

The grain bill looks excellent

l. It looks like you're going more for the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale style where its well balanced between malt and hops. Many of the newer pale ales are basically IPAs turned down 25%. I say brew it!

Exactly sir! I believe APA is about both the malt and the hops...not simply a hop delivery system.

The only thing I would swap is the Munich for Briess Cara vienne. Yellow Balanced water will get you that malt/hop presence. Then I would say swaping the cascade and one of the oz of centennial dry hop for something like Motueka or Aramis if you can get ahold of them.

I made something similar although I used honey malt instead of the caramel malt and a pound of honey.. I wish i would have made more. The caramel malt sounds interesting, let us know how it turns out.

I'm not sure that 3% munich malt will have any impact in this beer - if you want a rich maltiness, increase it to 5 to 10% (this would be my preference), otherwise leave it out. Also, it's debatable how much bitterness you get from whirlpool hop additions, but it's unlikely that you'd get 18IBU's. Thus, this is quite low on bitterness.

Latest posts

Back