American Pale Ale recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_CuRe

Reaction score
Hey! I am new to the forums and I am looking for opinions on this American Pale Ale recipe I am planning to brew in the next days: 19L batch
Fermentables: (60m mash at 67C)
90% Briess 2Row
7.5% Weyerman Carapils
2.5% Weyerman Carahell
Hops:
60m 10g warrior
15m 14g mosaic 14g centennial
10m 10g amarillo
Hopstand with 14g mosaic, 14g centennial, 10g amarillo for 15 minutes, at around 80C.
3 day dry hop of 28g each (mosaic, centennial, amarillo)
Aiming for 1.050 OG and 43 theoretical IBU, using lallemand KVEIK VOSS
Cheers!

I like the hop choices. I use similar schedules for my pale ales and IPAs (not a big fan of the trend of one bitter addition, and the rest in the whirlpool/hopstand). I've never dry hopped a kveik so I cant give much input there.
I've never seen the point in carapils, myself. If you're dead set on using it, I think 7.5% seems a bit much. I would cut that down to under 5%, but to be honest, if it were me, I would do 95% 2row/5% carahell and call it a day.

But I would drink it.

It will work. You are getting close or into ipa range with your hopping schedule but I think you’ll be making a good beer nonetheless

I like the hop choices. I use similar schedules for my pale ales and IPAs (not a big fan of the trend of one bitter addition, and the rest in the whirlpool/hopstand). I've never dry hopped a kveik so I cant give much input there.
I've never seen the point in carapils, myself. If you're dead set on using it, I think 7.5% seems a bit much. I would cut that down to under 5%, but to be honest, if it were me, I would do 95% 2row/5% carahell and call it a day.

But I would drink it.
Will be my 1st time doing dry hop with kveik too. I am using now that is to cold and I have no way to keep stable 18C for fermentis 05 which would be my "to go" yeast for pale ales and IPAS, Did a 1st batch with kveik, pitched at 35C and then it did its magic itself with good results.
About carapils, I've seen and feel the difference in the past (more head, better retention, bit more body), but you are right, maybe 7.5% is way to much, ill adjust to 5 and 5, thank you!

Will be my 1st time doing dry hop with kveik too. I am using now that is to cold and I have no way to keep stable 18C for fermentis 05 which would be my "to go" yeast for pale ales and IPAS, Did a 1st batch with kveik, pitched at 35C and then it did its magic itself with good results.
About carapils, I've seen and feel the difference in the past (more head, better retention, bit more body), but you are right, maybe 7.5% is way to much, ill adjust to 5 and 5, thank you!
7.5% is not too much carapils. Some people certainly like less but It’s very typical to use 1 lb of carapils in 5 gallon (20 L) recipes. That will be typically 5-10% and it’s only 2 L malt. Now if you used 7.5% carahell, I may try to persuade you to go down to 3% in a pale(which is right about where you are)

Last edited:
Ended up using the original grain bill, mash efficiency went a bit low, stayed at 1.049 instead of the 1.050 goal, close enough, thank you and I hope I get a decent beer.

Back