American or English Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALopez

Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing my first Amber Ale tomorrow. I was looking at recipies and I took a little bit of few of them so I don't know if my final recipe will turn ok or a disaster. Is this Amber Ale? American or English?

Anyone can advice on ingredients/quantities?

It might look a lot of grain but the grainfather for now is not giving me much of efficiency.

4,7 kg Maris Otter
250 gr Crystal 35
150 Chocolate
780 Wheat

US-04

20 gr Northern Brewer 60 min ( I don't like to much bitter)
30 gr East Kent Goldings 15 min
40 gr East kent Goldings 0 min

40gr Cascade Dry Hoppin

In total BeerSmith gives me 30 IBUS.

Thanks

Per BJCP, an American Amber style is between 25 and 40 IBUs, where an English Dark Mild is 20 to 25 IBUs and a British Brown Ale is 20 to 30 IBUs. From this standpoint, it falls more in line with a traditional American Amber or a more bitter English style.

That given, it depends what rally stands out in the beer. Your Marris Otter malt and EKG hops are definitely English in variety. So if the biscuit flavors from the Marris Otter is dominant and the earthy notes of the EKG are there but not too prominent, it has more of an English character. If it comes out more bitter and the Marris Otter is not noticeable, then I would say it leans more towards the American side. Neither beer styles have wheat in them though.

Unless you're submitting this for a competition, I would not worry whether your beer is more English or American. Just enjoy it! Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew!

Thanks ZManzorro,

The idea to use Wheat was to give a little bit more head to the beer. I got last few beers with no foam. I do not have dextrine malt so Wheat will help with that. Don't you think?

Any other advice on the recipe? Fell free.

Many thanks

Wheat or flaked oats will help with head retention as well as high protein malts like crystal.

Determine style by how it tastes more than what you put in it.

Are you using us-05 or s-04 yeast? That will make a big difference. Additionally cascade dry hopping screams American ale but everything else seems quite U.K. Centered especially if using S-04.

Could be a strong bitter but the IBU are generally a bit low. Could pass by a British strong ale.

Back