American IPA, good or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodigal_son7

Reaction score
I am going to be doing an American IPA and have created a recipe somewhat off of the top of my head. It's a 2.5g batch because thats what I have room to brew. Looking for any improvements or thoughts from the better-than-me brewers out there.

4lb. US Pale Ale Malt
3lb. US 2-Row Malt
1lb. US Caramel 40L Malt
.5lb. US Bonlander Munich
.5oz. Chinook 50 min.
.5oz. Glacier 50 min.
.5oz. Chinook 20 min.
.5oz. Glacier 20 min.
.5oz. Liberty 10 min.
.25oz. Cascade Dry Hop

US-05 Yeast

Should finish about a 67ibu's.

Thanks all.

If you like hop aroma then you are going to want a larger amount for dry hopping. I usually use about 2 ounces for every batch that is DH so you might want to try an ounce.

I agree that that seems like a low amount for dry hopping. Also, that's a good bit of Caramel 40. I might consider toning that down to 8 ounces.

What's the distinction between US 2-row and US Pale? Pale is a type of 2-row, I assume.

What's the distinction between US 2-row and US Pale? Pale is a type of 2-row, I assume.

I agree I think that it is a type of 2-row but I think that the color is even lower than the regular base malt.

Thanks for the advice on the dry hopping as well, I thought that it was a little low but wasn't sure.

Pale malt is kilned at a higher temp than 2-row and is, therefore, maltier and darker. It is still pale, and you are not brewing a straw colored beer anyway. American IPA is usually less malty than English IPA; a major reason is using 2-row instead of pale malts like Maris Otter.

Liberty is a very nice hop, but its aroma and flavor is more German than classic American hops like cascade and chinook. I would probably just use Cascade where you have Liberty for that classic taste.

Latest posts

Back