American Homebrewers Association

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised, there is a beer in that first photo. You probably can't see it, as I also have several blankies, stuffed animals, a rubber snake, a rubber lizard, and various other items on my lap as well.

In the last picture, that was bedtime. yes, all but the baby wanted to sleep with me. Thankfully, by 10:30, it was down to just me and one of the kids. Q (the boy) kicks terribly and so he was hauled off to his own bed, along with one of the girls. The girls belong to my daughter's boyfriend, while my daughter has two boys.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Looks like my house with the grand kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like my house with the grand kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had so much fun! It's been a long time since I've seen the gang- I was in Texas for a bit over two months, although I did see the 3.5 year old last week, and he slept at my house.

They whole time I was there, they kept asking, "Where's grandpa?" They love me, but they love him a bit more I think.

When is tabulation scheduled to be completed and results announced?

Yes, they said around April 2nd they should have the votes tallied and then they will let everyone that ran know before announcing it publicly.

Can one of you help me with this? I went to an AHA Rally SAT at Foothills Brewery and joined the AHA. How long before I get my login credentials? I'm jones'g for my eZymurgy mags!!

thx

Can one of you help me with this? I went to an AHA Rally SAT at Foothills Brewery and joined the AHA. How long before I get my login credentials? I'm jones'g for my eZymurgy mags!!

thx

Do you have your AHA number? If you do, you can go onto the website and create a user ID and password.

Do you have your AHA number? If you do, you can go onto the website and create a user ID and password.

Yes you have to go on the website http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/ and create a login (it will prompt you for your AHA Membership Number.) There is a separate login you need to create for their forums if you choose to use them (you don't need to to access the magazine)

thx

Welcome to the AHA!
Just don't get too excited about the eZymurgy magazines. It may not be what you expect...

... They are only available now in some really stupid flash browser software. Like browsing Staples' weekly ads. It's almost impossible to read and none of it if you're off-line.

They did away with the good old PDFs. I really want those PDFs back, but haven't found a button to click on the AHA site to report the problem and my disgruntlement.

I really wish a few of us can stick our heads together and plead our case.

I wasn't given an AHA number at the event. I gave them my form and check, they offered some swag and pointed towards the beer and I was off! I assumed my info would be emailed to me.

Welcome to the AHA!
Just don't get too excited about the eZymurgy magazines. It may not be what you expect...

... They are only available now in some really stupid flash browser software. Like browsing Staples' weekly ads. It's almost impossible to read and none of it if you're off-line.

They did away with the good old PDFs. I really want those PDFs back, but haven't found a button to click on the AHA site to report the problem and my disgruntlement.

Probably in an effort to discourage piracy. Can you print to PDF? I generally use a tablet to view online mags but I think most have an option to print to PDF. I too prefer that doc type for digital mags.

Welcome to the AHA!

I can understand the desire to have a PDF, but I actually like the online magazine. I really only use it when I'm online. I'd like to think that they are not using PDFs because they are one simple step away from being pirated across the Internet. But, any idiot with a computer and Internet connection can rip the magazine and scan to the Internet anyway. It's kind of like the difference between CDs and Tape. Or maybe more like CDs and MP3s...

I like the fact that I can go back in time and browse the older issues for articles and recipe from years ago.

Probably in an effort to discourage piracy. Can you print to PDF? I generally use a tablet to view online mags but I think most have an option to print to PDF. I too prefer that doc type for digital mags.

Discouraging Piracy? It discourages from reading! Operation accomplished, patient has died...

You can't do diddly squat. No saving, no exporting, nada. All mouse events are intercepted, defaulting to the stupid plug-in script. Nothing is saved in the browser cache either. Even zooming to make it legible makes you wanna cancel your membership instantly.

I'm not viewing these on some cheap small screen either. I use a 24" IPS, 1920x1600 pixel, color calibrated, desktop publishing quality LCD.

If anyone was smart enough to save / download the PDFs while they were there, I'm interested in a copy, please.

I wasn't given an AHA number at the event. I gave them my form and check, they offered some swag and pointed towards the beer and I was off! I assumed my info would be emailed to me.

It will be mailed, for sure! I just thought maybe they assigned you a number at the event.

When you get your card (and it won't be long), you can sign up on the website.

I have an old Nook, and can't read magazines and things on it- but I do have a brand new iphone. Is something like that useful for Zymurgy online? (I never read the ezine version, but I would if I had a way to do it on a portable device!)

I can understand the desire to have a PDF, but I actually like the online magazine. I really only use it when I'm online. I'd like to think that they are not using PDFs because they are one simple step away from being pirated across the Internet. But, any idiot with a computer and Internet connection can rip the magazine and scan to the Internet anyway. It's kind of like the difference between CDs and Tape. Or maybe more like CDs and MP3s...

I like the fact that I can go back in time and browse the older issues for articles and recipe from years ago.

I like reading the issues too, but not in this convoluted fashion.
There was nothing wrong with browsing and reading the online PDFs. You had access to all the back issues, and it was faster, much clearer, and infinitely better when you're offline, 'cause now you get nothing.

I've not heard the piracy argument lately in regards to the music industry. They seem to be doing fine now they've discovered the holy grail of distribution apparently.

Ezymurgy app seems to work pretty well for me on the pad, layout is nice, and you can download as many back issues as you want for offline reading. Made for good time killing on a recent plane trip. I'm back in 08 now I think, and it is funny to see some of the "new trends" from then, as well as info or instructions that I dont think even Zymurgy would recommend anymore. Good luck to Yoop and the rest on election results.

Well, I do not know who was elected to the Governing Committee, but I did find out that I was not among them.

Congrats and a thank you to all who were elected! There were a lot of good candidates, and I'm sure they will do a great job for us.

When you get your card (and it won't be long)

Actually, it will be. I renewed on 2/6, got an email on 2/12 saying that there was as unforseen delay in sending out cards and that I'd get it in early March.

Well, it is early April and I still haven't seen it...

Actually, it will be. I renewed on 2/6, got an email on 2/12 saying that there was as unforseen delay in sending out cards and that I'd get it in early March.

Well, it is early April and I still haven't seen it...

Weird, because I got the same email (as did Bob), and we got our cards in early March. I renewed in Jan, but he renewed around Feb 1 I think.

Well, I do not know who was elected to the Governing Committee, but I did find out that I was not among them.

Congrats and a thank you to all who were elected! There were a lot of good candidates, and I'm sure they will do a great job for us.

nor I. ahh well there is always next year

I actually got the same email when I renewed at the end of December. I got my replacement card in Feb as well.

Yooper don't feel too bad, I wasn't elected either. Such a long list of candidates with 5 incumbents I figured my odds were low... Then some 'life events' happened to me last week so I'm actually kind of relieved and bummed at the same time :D

Congrats to those that did win a seat. I know you'll do great!

I actually got the same email when I renewed at the end of December. I got my replacement card in Feb as well.

Yooper don't feel too bad, I wasn't elected either. Such a long list of candidates with 5 incumbents I figured my odds were low... Then some 'life events' happened to me last week so I'm actually kind of relieved and bummed at the same time :D

Congrats to those that did win a seat. I know you'll do great!

I was hoping it would be one of us- either you, me, or morticia. (I am sorry, Jonathon- I always think of you as 'morticia' as that's how I read that ID).

Maybe someone else from the forum got elected- I voted for Martin Brungard last year, and I know he ran again this year after being unsuccessful in the past. Maybe it was his time? I would love to congratulate one of my friends around here!

It's a pity Yooper, Jonathan, and Daniel didn't get elected. You all had my vote, as did Martin. Try again and find out where and how you get your name out to the larger voting population. HBT obviously is not enough. Elections are a strange vehicle anyway.

I think the main issue people need to go out and vote. We were told voting was up 15% from last year... but if we assume the AHA is only 40,000 members then there was only a 4% turnout for the vote. The 3 of us are the ones I saw that were putting ourselves out there the most in most of the homebrew forums. Name recognition plays a big role and I guess we don't have that. I will say I was surprised Martin didn't win last year and I would be even more surprised if he didn't win this year since his name has been out there a lot more this past year.

Ezymurgy app seems to work pretty well for me on the pad, layout is nice, and you can download as many back issues as you want for offline reading. Made for good time killing on a recent plane trip. I'm back in 08 now I think, and it is funny to see some of the "new trends" from then, as well as info or instructions that I dont think even Zymurgy would recommend anymore. Good luck to Yoop and the rest on election results.

So you're saying the tablet app downloads the complete data of multiple issues for later browsing. Interesting! The PC doesn't, it's based on FlashPlayer. I can open multiple issues, but once closed they're gone.

The text is still incredibly difficult to read even on a full 24" screen @ 200% zoom, seeing about half of a page. I'd take any PDF over this, any time, it's a different rendering technology.

I guess I don't have enough patience for bloated mind-numbing interfaces either. Seeing a "fancy" page turn once is plenty for me.

Weird, because I got the same email (as did Bob), and we got our cards in early March. I renewed in Jan, but he renewed around Feb 1 I think.

Yeah, I signed up in January and haven't received a card yet. I did receive an email saying that there was an issue with the cards and that they would be sending them out in March, but it's April now. I think I also saw that they were extending the membership for a couple months to compensate which I'm totally cool with.

I think the main issue people need to go out and vote. We were told voting was up 15% from last year... but if we assume the AHA is only 40,000 members then there was only a 4% turnout for the vote. The 3 of us are the ones I saw that were putting ourselves out there the most in most of the homebrew forums. Name recognition plays a big role and I guess we don't have that. I will say I was surprised Martin didn't win last year and I would be even more surprised if he didn't win this year since his name has been out there a lot more this past year.

I think most people voted based on the candidate's posted statements not their name recognition on various homebrewing forums. I'm sorry you all didn't win and I know it's tough to put yourself out there like that, but there were also a lot of candidates to select from and the statements was how I think most people made their decisions.

I was really impressed that the vast majority of candidates put together well thought out and constructive statements. It made it difficult for myself to whittle the list of candidates down to a final group for voting.

If it is at all helpful, I researched each candidate as best I could and looked for three traits:

1) Some kind of management/executive committee style experience that was applicable to the AHA. It didn't have to major, just needed to demonstrate that the candidate had worked in a committee before and could do so again.

2) At least one specific recommendation on a way to improve the AHA - things like financial disclosure reports, improvements to the NHC, improvements to member benefits, etc. It didn't have to go into details, but I wanted to see a candidate who was running and wanted to improve/change something.

3) This last one is subjective, but someone who is affiliated with the BJCP as a judge. To me that shows a person is willing to go beyond just being a homebrewer and make the effort to get involved with competitions. Generally, BJCP judges are usually better brewers than non-BJCP judges (here comes the flak!!) and have insight on how competitions are run and can be improved on. I think the relationship with AHA/BJCP is something that can be beneficial for both groups and I'd like to see them work together more.

Anyway, that's what I looked for in a candidate. Obviously everyone votes differently, and I'm not going to say who I did or did not vote for. I hope that is somewhat constructive and again, I'm sorry that you all didn't win. I think you all would have done great and would have been great assets to the AHA.

So you're saying the tablet app downloads the complete data of multiple issues for later browsing. Interesting! The PC doesn't, it's based on FlashPlayer. I can open multiple issues, but once closed they're gone.

The text is still incredibly difficult to read even on a full 24" screen @ 200% zoom, seeing about half of a page. I'd take any PDF over this, any time, it's a different rendering technology.

I guess I don't have enough patience for bloated mind-numbing interfaces either. Seeing a "fancy" page turn once is plenty for me.

Yes, at least the ipad app will let you download full back issues to read offline. Not a big fan of the web interface either, but on the pad where I can drag and zoom in and out with fingers I find it easier, and you can turn off all the page turn animations and sounds. Sorry to Yoop and all the others who didnt make it this year but hope you try again and you've got my vote. On the membership card issue, I had the same problem, reupped in December and got a notice saying wouldnt get it til Feb. I emailed them and asked if it wouldnt be cheaper and easier to just email paper copies that could be printed and got a reply that it was "under consideration".

Back