American Homebrewers Association

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I voted. I tried to be as smart about it as possible, but it's so hard to know if you are making the right decision when you don't know any of the nominees. Plus, they all say they are going to fix this and have ideas for that, but then, just like all good politicians, they don't SAY what their ideas are!

How about this?

"Vote for me, because you drink my beer!"

:D

Oh, I voted for you. I just feel like for everybody else it's kind of a shot in the dark. Even people with the best experience and most impressive backgrounds might totally suck at the job. You never know when it comes to group dynamics.

Eh, I don't know why it should be a concern. We're talking about homebrewing and beer here!

Eh, I don't know why it should be a concern. We're talking about homebrewing and beer here!

At the risk of sounding serious, one of the things they AHA Governing Committee does is shape the policies and direction of the AHA.

After the last year of competition registration and the cluster with the registration for the NHC, the AHA is trying something new. I think it's important to get feedback from people "down in the trenches", so to speak and I think that all of us can provide great input as the hobby of homebrewing explodes. It's more popular than ever, and I think I could do a good job with committee work and give input from this forum.

That, and we are talking about beer, after all! :D

I haven't been a member of the AHA for a while. When I got back into brewing seriously (or whatever...) I joined up and found the member discount program to be lacking up here by me. It's a non factor, really. I enjoyed the magazine, but found the articles basically parroted what I'd learned here, or from the many books I'd bought. I just didn't renew at some point.

After a few years I thought about what the AHA has done for brewing rights and I renewed. It's kind of a payback for all the work they did for the entire homebrewing community in lobbying for personal rights.

But what to do now? I here everyone talking about the problem with the registrations and not a lot else. With all 50 states having some kind of legal homebrewing the biggest endeavor the AHA has has been achieved. Yes there are still plenty of laws that need amending, enhancing, or enacting, but the basic right for a person to be able to legally homebrew in their home is now complete.

Besides the obvious improvements with NHC registration and the logistics that go with hosting such a large event, I think discussion needs to happen amongst the members in order to gauge their feeling toward some of the other actions the AHA could focus on. I mean, NHC and the competition is great for a lot of people, but the participants are only a small percentage of the AHA membership.

True, but there are still "call to action" notices all the time as we are trying to relax some of those archaic laws still on the books. Sure, homebrewing is now legal in all 50 states, but in some states you can't take "homebrew" out of your "home", like to give any away or to take to your campsite or your friend's house. That AHA is working on that as well, and keeping voters informed of what's going on in their area.

I"m not a huge fan of the magazine, although it's a good one, because there isn't that much I want to read in print when we have this forum (and others). I get 0 pub discounts, and 0 AHA rallies, due to where I live and travel. But I still am a member of the AHA as there is power in banding together to push for change. Also, the hobby is expanding rapidly and more and more people are brewing. That's a great thing, as homebrewing becames more mainstream we should have less questions about brewing in our bathtubs and if we'll go blind from brewing- and educating the masses is something we can all do.

Oh, I just wanted to be clear, I'm not trying to put you on the spot here, just thinking out loud about the AHA and it's leadership and future direction in general. I got distracted by having to reassign rights to some folders at work. I forgot to add this when I posted my previous comments.

I'd vote for you Yooper but I'm Canadian ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yooper, you got my vote, but I too have no clue who the other candidates are, and their bios are not very enlightening. I'd give you all 8 votes, if I could.

If it weren't for your announcements and messages here I wouldn't have known the election had even started. It was in the side bar of the latest AHA email communication. Easy to miss.

Well,

It seems like y'all might have already voted but if any are still holding out I'll put myself out there as another option.

I don't get over here to HBT as often as the AHA forum but I have found a wealth of info here on home malting and other more esoteric subjects that seem to be glossed over on the AHA forum.

I'm actually in the midst of obsession over a home made peristaltic pump design I saw on here a couple years ago.

I'll let you all (or any of you that care to) peruse my statement on the AHA site and decide for yourselves.

Well,

It seems like y'all might have already voted but if any are still holding out I'll put myself out there as another option.

I don't get over here to HBT as often as the AHA forum but I have found a wealth of info here on home malting and other more esoteric subjects that seem to be glossed over on the AHA forum.

I'm actually in the midst of obsession over a home made peristaltic pump design I saw on here a couple years ago.

I'll let you all (or any of you that care to) peruse my statement on the AHA site and decide for yourselves.
I'm guessing you're Jonathan Fuller? If so, this quasi-Davisonian already voted for you.
And Yooper too, for more than just the beer "offers" :D

I just joined and have not. I'll get on it this weekend. Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

A vote for Yooper would be the perfect birthday present.
:mug:

Yes, why yes it would! :p

Gosh, I can't believe I'm 50. I woke up with gray hair and wrinkles and a sore back. But this new level of maturity would make me the perfect candidate for the Governing Committee. :D

I know! I look much better as an avatar than as a real person.

In person, I'm a middle aged grandmother with a slightly crazed look at all times.

But, on the internet, I am a young, stacked, dominatrix.

God, I LOVE the internet!!!!!!!

LMAO! But I gotta ask, as I have been around for about a year. What does your avatar name "Yooper" stand for?

LMAO! But I gotta ask, as I have been around for about a year. What does your avatar name "Yooper" stand for?

A "yooper" is a person from the upper peninsula of Michigan- the UP.

If you're from the UP, you're a UP'er which is normally spelled Yooper.

A funny story about that- here in south Texas where we spend a couple of months in the winter, we have some very good friends who I met a few years ago because they had a corny keg on their porch and I HAD to go meet them. We became very close, like family. (Yes, they brew!)

They love the UP of Michigan, and actually wanted to purchase property there, but settled for northern Wisconsin. Now, whenever they see someone with any sort of "Michigan" t-shirt or anything, they ask them excitedly, 'Are you a Yooper?'. I've witnessed this in bars, and I told them that most people from Michigan are not Yoopers, but they still do it in the hopes of talking to more Yoopers. I really think it's only because they like to hear us talk.

Many Yoopers have a weird "Fargo"/Canadian accent. Of course, I do not. :D

You-per
Up-per
Yo-per
Yup-per

I've always thought it was pronounced You-per, but it seems like maybe it should be Up-per.

- Another Confused Yankee

So, when someone says UP'er does it sound different when spoken in Fargo? Is there some kind of "yeah" in front of the Upper?

- Confused Yankee

No, it's pronounced Yooper, even dere, doncha know, eh? :D Generally, we say that we live in da U.P.

As Homer mentioned, there are two kinds of people in Michigan. Yoopers, and Trolls.

Homer is an honorary Yooper, but he really is a Troll underneath. I love him anyway, though!

It's true. I'm a poseur. I do regularly pick up copies of UP Magazine (from Porcupine Press) just to stay in the know. They call it a "humour magazine" down here, but I'm pretty sure yoopers consider it a well respected news source.

Here's a joke for you. What's a "yooper 7-course meal"?

A 6-pack and a Pasty!

I am also running for a seat on the AHA Governing Committee. If you still haven't voted, I'd appreciate your consideration and vote.

#Vote4Craig
aka msbrewblog

Just a reminder for anyone who has not voted- voting ends March 31, so make sure you vote if you're an AHA member!

And, in the spirit of late election promises, I promise to buy anyone a beer who comes to visit here in the UP. I'm certainly not above buying votes, or buying beers!

I promise to not raise taxes!

I promise to dream about beer and homebrewing. I promise that no kittens were harmed in the typing of this message.

I promise to have a beer right this moment. :D

http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd

My statement: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/lorena-evans/

I voted for Beer, Lorena, Yooper, all at once, it was highly efficient of me.

You are such an asset to HBT, I cannot fathom how you wouldn't be a tremendous asset to the AHA.

Unfortunately, I cannot join the HBT'ers at NHC this time, but hope to someday. If I'm ever in the UP, I WILL take you up on that beer offer. But only if it's a homebrew!

I cast my votes, leaned on my Wisconsin/Michigan folks. Lead us onward folks!! Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Magic and deception.

Just a reminder for anyone who has not voted- voting ends March 31, so make sure you vote if you're an AHA member!

And, in the spirit of late election promises, I promise to buy anyone a beer who comes to visit here in the UP. I'm certainly not above buying votes, or buying beers!

I promise to not raise taxes!

I promise to dream about beer and homebrewing. I promise that no kittens were harmed in the typing of this message.

I promise to have a beer right this moment. :D

http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd

My statement: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/lorena-evans/

And here I thought the first link would be a picture of you having a beer...

Well, I can post one later if it will make you happy. Right now, it's 7:45 AM so it's a bit early for a beer, even for me. :D

This evening, if the weather doesn't deteriorate, I'm driving down to Rhinelander, WI (about 90 miles away) to see my daughter and grandsons, and her boyfriend and his two girls and staying over night.

Trust me- I love all of those kids, but with 4 of them under 5 years old, there will be beer consumed this evening! Hopefully, I can wait until dinner time. :D

Seriously, her boyfriend is a beginning beer-geek, and he loves to have new beers. When he was here before we left for Texas, he decided that my Pliny clone was the best beer ever. I do think he has good taste. So, I'll be stopping for a growler at a small brewery in Eagle River for their IPA to share with him. So there will be beer photos, if you really want them. :rockin:

just voted for you Yoop - best of luck. Big presence of mid-westerners running - didn't see anyone from the east coast. Not that that means anything, but an observation, none the less.

Back