Amber Malt Curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
I know the best answer is, “try it and see,” which I am about to do. But I’d like anyone’s opinions on the contributions of Amber Malt.

In Greg Noonan’s book Scottish Ale, he gives recipes from the 1800’s that call for 1 to 1.5 lbs. Amber Malt to go with the 2-row base malt (I’ll be using Golden Promise). Has anyone tried anything like that?

I have brewed with it a few times. I know it really varies depending on which maltster you get it from. I noticed that I got some burnt caramel type flavors from it. Seemed to get quite roasty in 1-1.5 lbs/ 5 gallons. Not like a roasted malt or chocolate malt kind of roast, less like coffee and more like well done toast I guess would be my best description.

My experience with fawcett's version was that it reminded me of golden grahams breakfast cereal. For a malt oriented beer a pound in a 5 gallon batch can be really nice. I'd proceed with caution using it in more hop oriented beers as the flavor might clash.

I've used it a number of times in porters, where its contribution is hard to judge. The one beer I've used it where you can make it out was an English IPA where the grain bill was
94% TF Golden Promise
3% TF crystal I
3% TF amber

This beer had a great depth of malt character, with a lot of bread crust, toffee, and a hint of coffee. Quite tasty.

I use it in several different beers and I like it. I use a tiny bit in an IPA (6 ounces out of 13.5 pounds), and in some darker beers. I normally use brown malt (not amber malt) in a brown porter, because the brown malt is a bit roastier.

The above posts seem right on to me. The first time I made Yooper's Dogfish clone I made a half batch but accidentally used the whole 6 oz. It was a little too much for an IPA at almost 6%. Well done toast is a good description. It's much nicer at 3% in an IPA.

Back