Amber Ale w/Belgian Candi Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePoShow

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post on the forum and still fairly new to home brewing. I am about to order a 5 gallon amber ale kit from Midwest supplies and want to add Belgium candi syrup to it.

My question is, how much candi syrup would be a good mix for a 5 gallon batch?

Also, at what point of the boil should I mix the syrup or should I wait until after fermentation?

Thanks for the help in advance!

I did a dogfish head Raison D'être clone which is cold conditioning ATM.

The recipe called for Belgian Candi sugar and golden Raisons added with then minutes left of the boil.

I added 220 mls of dark candi syrup (same thing as the sugar) to a 19 litre batch (close to 1 gallon).

troyp42 said:
I did a dogfish head Raison D'être clone which is cold conditioning ATM.

The recipe called for Belgian Candi sugar and golden Raisons added with then minutes left of the boil.

I added 220 mls of dark candi syrup (same thing as the sugar) to a 19 litre batch (close to 1 gallon).

So you are saying 1100 mls for the 5 gallon batch?

ThePoShow said:
So you are saying 1100 mls for the 5 gallon batch?

Sorry mate. I meant 19 litres is 5 gallons. So you Would use 220 mls for your 5 gallon batch.

Mine seems to be a bit too sweet but I did add Raisons as well. I will probably add less syrup next time. Maybe 180 mls and see how that turns out.
But definitely add it to the boil with ten minutes left.

My question is, how much candi syrup would be a good mix for a 5 gallon batch?

Also, at what point of the boil should I mix the syrup or should I wait until after fermentation?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Adding sugar will help the beer finish dryer (lower final gravity) and boost the alcohol contect too. Folks tend to add it at the end of the boil, as your hop utilization is higher in lower gravity worts. This is where I usually add mine.

You could also add it in the fermenter (secondary), but if your goal is just ABV boost, why risk infection by adding it cold? I would only do a fermentation add if there were delicate aroma/flavors I wanted out of it. (e.g. honey, berries, etc.)

Not sure on how much.. but I think you would want to keep it in the 5%-10% range. 1/2# to 1# for 5-gal batches.

You can also use less expensive table sugar for small additions like that, as an option.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Back