Amber Ale recipe request AND partial mash help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstricker

Reaction score
Ok,
So I’m looking to brew a 10 gallon batch on a 5 gallon all grain set up...

I’d like to brew an amber ale with a neighbor and split the 10 gallons into two fermenters.

I’m not sure if it would be better to do a partial boil and top off with water, knowing I’m loosing efficiency OR fill my MLT with as much of a grain bill as it can handle and maybe add some DME or LME to hit my numbers a bit better... My MLT is a 10 gallon cylinder cooler (fermenters friend).

So advice on a good amber recipe is appreciated; and any suggestions on how to alter my brew day for a 10 gallon final volume.

I have recently switched to partial mash from all grain in order save time and be able to brew in my kitchen again. I now have a kid so that changed how much time I could spend on my brewing.

Anywho, my process is this and you can scale this up by doubling I am sure:

This was my recipe I used for an experimental parital mash IPA I just did Saturday:

1. 5 lbs - 2 Row
2. 4 oz - carafoam
3. 4 oz - carapils/dextrine
4. 4 oz - Crystal 40L
5. 4 lbs. - Light Dry Extract

Used centennial and citra hops and US 05 yeast.

My mash went like this:

1. Brought 2.5 Gallons of water up to 158 degrees.
2. Put my bag in the kettle and added grains. Final mash temp was 152. Mashed for 45 minutes.
3. Heated up 1.5 gallons of sparge water to 170 degrees. Pulled the grain bag placed a colander over the kettle and put grain bag in. Poured sparge water over the grains and let lauter into the kettle. Pulled the colander and set aside.
4. Now I had about 3.5 gallons of water in the kettle. 2.5 to start, lost .5 gallon to grains, added back 1.5 gallons.
5. Bring water to a boil and add DME and gypsum to briefly harden water for optimum hop extraction
6. Boil for an hour and do the hop schedule
7. HERE IS MY FAVORITE PART! You now have somewhere between 2.5-3 gallons of wort left after boil off. Take a 10 pound bag of ice from the store. This ice is 100% distilled water and fine for beer. Add the ice to wort. I think 10 pounds is roughly 1.25 gallons or so of water. You'll have completely cooled wort in 30 seconds.
8. Transfer to sanitized bucket. Top off with distilled water to the desired final volume. Aerate the wort/mix top of water and wort. Pitch yeast. Done.

I may never go back to all grain after this. My brew day is done in 3 hours flat and my brown ale I did a few weeks ago like this for the first time turned out just as good, to the novice tongue. I HATED waiting 30-60 minutes for wort to cool. Adding the ice and having pitch temp wort in 30 seconds is magic. Best trick I've learned so far.

The basic process jcbrewing looks good, biut id recommend adding the extract at the end of boil. There's no reason to reboil it.

If you have a 5 gallon recipe that you'd like to use, you could just essentially double it but substitute half the *base* grain with plain light extract. You'd basically be doing a regular 5 gallon batch with double the specialty grains in it, and a bunch of extract added at flame out. top off in the fermenters with RO water.

You will need to adjust recipe for a lower efficiency and noire to that tout woet loss to the system is concentrated/higher gravity as well.

Back