Amber Ale Kit to Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steigede

Reaction score
I recently purchased some brewing equipment from midwest supplies and it came with a free kit. I picked the amber ale. I was wondering if I could add some pumpkin/brown sugar/spices to the brew to convert it to a pumpkin ale for the fall. I read somewhere about making a tea out of the spices by steeping them in hot water, straining them, then adding it to the beer around the time of bottling.

Should this work? Anything I should be aware of while attempting to convert this brew?

Thanks

You can do a couple of things depending on how you want it to turn out. I made a pumpkin ale using 30 oz of pumpkin puree that I added cinnamon to taste (not sure how much cinnamon). I tossed it in with 5 min left in the boil, and you can definitely tell that there is pumpkin in it.

You could also add pumpkin spices and get a similar effect, although I would think that the effect would be somewhat diminished without actual pumpkin. Also, you can do what some of the pros do and use sweet potatos (yams) instead of pumpkin and bake them first. Either can be a good option, just be aware that there will be a lot more wort lost to the pumpkin/yam throughout the process.

If I remember correctly, Midwest also sells a Pumpkin Ale kit. Check their website, they are very forthright about what ingredients are in their kits and they freely allow you to download the pdf version of the kit instructions.

You could easily see how they are different and make whatever mods you want to pumpkinize your amber... I have not yet taken the plunge into modifying kits or doing recipes yet. I have only boiled two batches so far and both are sitting in a primary right now.

Have fun with it!

Thanks for the replies. I actually already looked at the pumpkin ale pdf. It doesn't seem very much different than a regular brew. I think it should come out, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience.

That would probably work. I'm actually in the midst of creating a pumpkin ale recipe, and I used "Amber" as my style guide. The only thing different is I went much lighter on hops than the Amber Style calls for (according to beersmith).

Not sure how much hops came with your kit, but that might be one consideration.

This is my thread for the recipe I'm trying to make: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/help-me-create-my-first-recipe-moon-hill-pumpkin-ale-255912/

OK, I got the kit in the mail today. Here are the ingredients.
-6 lbs Gold LME
-2oz Special B, 8oz Caramel 80L, 2oz Roasted malt (premixed together)
-1oz Hallertau Hops, 1oz Fuggle Hops
Does anything stand out as being a problem? Should I add anything else to the recipe? Other than the pumpkin/spices/brown sugar of course.

I would throw it in an amber,just dont use too much spice like more than 3-4 tbls. I did a can in a 2 gallon wasnt enough seems 2 16 oz cans was good so in a 5 gallon i would use 4 or 6 cans (16 0z)of pumpkin otherwise you may not notice much, its the spice really. I think adding a little smoke or oaking it wouldnt be such a bad idea, maybe a small amout to start.

Just roast some cut pumpkin at 350 for an hour, then add that to water and steep with the specialty grains. Brew the rest as usual. You now have a pumpkin amber. Add pie spices to the secondary and you're good to go.

So I decided to go ahead and just leave the beer in the primary for 4 weeks. It's been 2 weeks and it's not very clear. Should I put it in the secondary? will it clear up more? Not too worried about it but I thought it wouldn't be as cloudy. Also, there seems to be a translucent film on the top, looks like a bit of oil. It's been there since the yeast settled and hasn't changed, so I doubt that is an issue. Any thoughts?

I would leave it in the primary for 4 weeks total, unless you have an additive planned for your secondary. The oil look might be from your cleaner.

Hey there,
I actually just did the exact same thing--adding pumpkin and spices to the Midwest Amber Ale. I added 60 oz. of canned pumpkin and spices (nutmeg, cloves, and allspice). It's been in primary for 3 days now and smells delicious. I think we're in for a good fall beer!

Awesome! I tasted a bit before it went into the primary and it tasted great but had a sharp aftertaste. Guessing that was the hops. I added a 32 oz can of pumpkin and then I roasted and added 3 large yams. Used cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Getting really excited to finally try it.

This may be a dumb question, but do you add the canned pumpkin prior to the boil (during the steeping grain period), during the boil, or after the boil?

I've read that you can essentially add the pumpkin any time you like, but most say to add (canned pumpkin at least) in the last 5-10 mins. of the boil. I added my spices at the last 2 mins.

Hey guys,

What was your spice mixture and how much of each. Every recipe has a wide range depending on real pumpkin / canned pumpkin/ or sweet potato. I'm getting ready to brew a batch this weekend. Can't find real pumpkin here yet, so I am going to do a mixture of sweet potato and canned pumpkin.

I used:
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg

I added those to the last 5 minutes of the boil. I got that ratio from https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/

I didn't have the cloves so I just left those out.

I read that the pumpkin gives a little flavor but not a whole lot, compared to the spices. I think canned or using some yams would work fine. I roasted my yams and they smells just like fresh pumpkin.

I've heard that you can't overdo the spices! I added:

1 t. cloves
1 t. allspice
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cardamom

i forgot the cinnamon :(

Back