Amber ale hop opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stretcheagle

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing an amber ale bittered with Fuggles and flavor/aroma hopped with equal portions of Willamette and Goldings. I'm going for an amber ale with plenty of earthy, woodsy notes. Any opinions from the good folks in home brew land? Has anyone ever done a pairing like that before? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've only used Amarillo and Liberty; Glacier and Liberty; Glacier only. I'm not sure my palate is "fine" enough to note any particular differences that these pairings, or use of a single only, would offer aside from IBU's unless added very late in the boil. If EVERYTHING was absolutely identical in my brewing - from my techniques to the ingredients (same lot and treated the same till I got them) then and only then would any slight difference in my beer's flavor due to hop variety be discernible to me and I'd bet to anyone, regardless of how "fine" they think their palate is. Now, if you load up the late additions to pale ale or IPA levels well that's a horse of a different color...

I've read here that bittering hops matter not. Meaning, there's no flavor or aroma left at end of boil when hops are added at start of boil. Just bitterness so it matters not which hop provided the AA's, bitter is just bitter.

Sure, citrusy notes from some, woodsy or flowery aroma from another when added late in the boil but if you are after that then you are stepping outside what most would consider an "amber" as there should be very little, if any, hop flavor and aroma in an amber. If you dared to up the hop level in an amber and add late hop additions for flavor and aroma in an amber and flip your finger at the style gods, well, I salute you! Your beer is your beer and to hell with the style snobs. Seriously, "hop" to it and make your beer your own!

Hmm well I don't usually care too much about sticking to style, and I think you're right, I am probably looking for something slightly hoppier than a normal amber ale. Will probably shoot for between 20 and 25 IBUs, but I want a little more flavor and aroma from the hops than the style dictates. In any case, I'll give it a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've read here that bittering hops matter not. Meaning, there's no flavor or aroma left at end of boil when hops are added at start of boil. Just bitterness so it matters not which hop provided the AA's, bitter is just bitter.

in general this is pretty true, however there are some hops that definitely add a distinct note in their bitterness. of course none of them are the ones OP is talking about, but chinook, citra, ctz come to mind

... as there should be very little, if any, hop flavor and aroma in an amber.

ambers can have plenty of hop flavor/aroma, so unless the OP is really pushing it, it should be fine. I'd probably go for an ESB instead tho based on the hop choices

per BJCP for Ambers:
Aroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties

Flavor: Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties

Without sounding too simple....if you're looking for those "earthy, woodsy" notes, cascade might be a good choice. I know that it's one of the standard hops and not the "hop of the month". It's a good all around hops and you can play with your hop additions and have it come out any way you like. Either way, dump them in and drink !!!!

Cheers,
Kris

Amber usually lines up with an APA or ESB. That means hops at 60, 30-15, and possibly at 0.

Willamette is an American Fuggle, so you could go with those. EKG and Fuggle is a classic combo, so you could do any combination of those.

Back