amber ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thoughts?

8lb 2 row
1lb 60L
1lb 90L
0.5lb flaked wheat

0.5oz Columbus at 60
1oz liberty at 15
1oz willamette at 5

Wyeasr 1272

This is slightly modified from palmer's red nectar clone.

I would try 0.5 lbs of Special B in place of the 90L.

I would also use Cascade in place of Liberty

But that's just me.

I suggest in the Wiki entry on the style to use a proportion of darker Crystal malts to get color. Read why.

I think your grist is already a bit heavy on the Crystal malt. I'd cut it back to no more than 15% of the grist. Make 10 of that 15% 60L and the remainder 120L or Special B; which you choose depends on your palate.

I'd finish with Cascades all around, opting out of the Mt Hood. Mt Hood is subtle compared to Cascades, and it'll get lost. I'd add 2 oz of Cascades at flameout and call it a day.

1332 is a good choice, though I prefer White Labs Cal V for a bit of fruity character.

Cheers,

Bob

Thx bob! I'm glad you found this thread; I've learned a bunch from you over the years about fomulating styles, and you're always spot on! :mug:

Cascade and Palisade are a great combination that will give a smoother flavor (floral and citrus) than just the cascades alone. I like to use about 1 pound caramel, and 1 pound munich in my amber ales. Not sure what the roasted barley will do in this style, or how much difference adding at the end of the mash will make. My last amber ale I used 2 oz willamette for flavor with additions at 20,15,10,5 min...and I couldn't even taste them. Needless to say I'm not buying anymore Willamette hops.

Not sure what the roasted barley will do in this style, or how much difference adding at the end of the mash will make.

Roasted barley in that quantity is purely for color. A pinch of roasted barley will add a beautiful red/garnet color without flavor contribution. Those really (and needlessly ;) ) worried about flavor addition will add it to the mash tun before beginning the sparge.

My last amber ale I used 2 oz willamette for flavor with additions at 20,15,10,5 min...and I couldn't even taste them. Needless to say I'm not buying anymore Willamette hops.

Then you're a dope. :D They might not be what you're looking for in this style, but to stop buying them altogether? That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Bob

I should have said that I won't use them for an amble ale again and will use them less in general than I have before.

Back