Amateur Hour- My 1st AG batch and my many mistakes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opiate82

Reaction score
So my brother and I, after having a grand total of 2 partial mash beers brewed under our belts (in which neither had made it out of the fermenter yet) we decided we no longer needed the training wheels and was ready to move from using extract to doing all grain brewing.

I did a lot (but not enough) reading around here, put together a cooler mash tun and found a well reviewed Irish Red recipe here, printed it out and then my brother and I headed down to the brand new LHBS in town to get our ingredients. This is where everything started to go downhill. Here is everything that went wrong.

- LHBS didn't have 4 out of the 5 grains we were looking for. So we just grabbed whatever had a similar sounding name and went with it.

- LHBS also didn't have one of the hops the recipe called for. Again, just winged it with a random hop with a similar name.

- Didn't know to pre-heat the mash-tun. Came in ~12-degrees below target temp.

- Tried to fly-sparge using 170-degree water and a colander as a sprinkler. Pretty sure we never actually raised the temp of the grain bed at all.

- Also think we had a really bad crush from the LHBS. If a BC gap is supposed to be about as wide as a credit card, theirs could probably fit my whole wallet.

So we totally missed our target S.G, had no idea what kind of beer we were now making or if it would even be alcoholic but decided the throw it into the fermenter anyways. A month later when I cracked the fermenter it had such a strong fruity, cider-y aroma that I nearly dumped it right then and there. But I threw it in the keg, and about a week later I had my first glass...

... and actually it was pretty good! Checked in at 4.0% ABV (so ya, a "session" beer) and had a nice smooth dry start with a great taste of the bittering hops on the back end. Still not even sure what to call it, maybe an ESB. But either way, I will actually probably brew it again. So, I present you with Amateur Hour, our first all-grain brew!

ah beer.jpg

Very nice work getting through your first AG batch. Welcome to the AG club.

I am sure now that you have learned some many lessons after 1 batch that you will have a smooth second batch.

sounds like your lhbs needs to get their **** together.

I started brewing all grain and the fun is throwing stuff together and finding out what happens. You can also try a program like Beersmith to help you on what your beer will be like.

I started brewing all grain and the fun is throwing stuff together and finding out what happens. You can also try a program like Beersmith to help you on what your beer will be like.

Yeah, I routinely substitute for things I don't have, don't feel like getting, or for the oh s#!t moments where I need to make up for a SNAFU. I use recipe formulators to tell me what these changes will do to my recipe and adjust accordingly.

Why didn't you just use a pre-made kit?

But yes, I'm also intrigued by the idea of all grain. However I'm content doing partial mash since it's just difficult enough to keep me interested. Your story is inspiring to me though.

I'm also the guy (along with a brewing buddy) that brewed a pretty nice pale ale with 3 oz of "magic dust" hops from Austin Homebrew. Magic Dust is literally a mixture of the dust left over in a hops bags. AHS sells it for a good discount. We made a nice 5-gal batch for 20 bucks.

Why didn't you just use a pre-made kit?

I wanted to shop from our new LHBS to help support them. I thought if they didn't have what I needed at the very least they could help me find some substitutes and/or have some in house recipes I could use instead. They had neither advice to offer me nor any in-house recipes.

I like having a shop in town and supporting them, but my experience with them so far has been less then stellar unfortunately. Really odd hours, constantly out-of-stock on regular items and not very helpful with advice. Hopefully they get their act together, but I can always take my business online if need be.

I did my 2nd AG batch (Vienna/Mt. Hood SMaSH) and still came in low on the efficiency. But it was better this time around now that I hit my mash temps and did a much better job sparging. I have a MM2 on the way so I can eliminate a bad crush as an efficiency issue.

I guess the moral of the story here is, even if everything seems to go to hell, the end result is still beer, and beer is good!

I've learned the hard way to preheat the mash tun. Also remember to close the valve on the mash tun when you dough in. :) Also I was unintentionally no sparge mashing for my first 5 batches. Long list of mistakes I am just trying to not repeat them.

I've learned the hard way to preheat the mash tun. Also remember to close the valve on the mash tun when you dough in. :) Also I was unintentionally no sparge mashing for my first 5 batches. Long list of mistakes I am just trying to not repeat them.

I remember preheating.

It's not hard to just raise your strike water temp a few degrees to compensate for a cold mash tun.

Software can make this trivial.

OP: Nice, the thread title was funny.

passedpawn said:
I remember preheating.

It's not hard to just raise your strike water temp a few degrees to compensate for a cold mash tun.

Software can make this trivial.

OP: Nice, the thread title was funny.

I essentially do this. I heat strike to around 180 and add to tun, cover, wait, then stir down to just over strike temp. Then I dough in and stir down to mash temp

I do the same as tre9er. Add 180 degree water, close the lid and get other things ready while it cools to where I want it. Good job on your first all grain batch!

I've been doing the same thing now, heating up to 180+ then letting it drop to dough-in temp in the mash tun. That is actually one of the few things I figured out on my own, most everything else I have picked up here. Just got to say that HBT is a great resource! ;)

opiate82 said:
I've been doing the same thing now, heating up to 180+ then letting it drop to dough-in temp in the mash tun. That is actually one of the few things I figured out on my own, most everything else I have picked up here. Just got to say that HBT is a great resource! ;)

I always thought of it like cooking. As Alton Brown teaches, 'easier to add liquid on top of dry then dry to liquid.'

Back