amarillo hop rumors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertoole

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been hearing that Amarillo hops are becoming so popular that the stockpiles will be totally sold out very very soon this year. Is this true?

This stinks since I, like most homebrewers, dry hop with a ton of the green gold called Amarillo.

any ideas on other really wonderful dry hop alternatives? I am looking at possibly using Chinook, Ahtanum, Simcoe or Glacier. Any pro's/cons here?

This substitution is needed for a Rye Ale that we want to brew several more times this year (in case we all run out!).

Amarillo is a highly sought after hop and will be rare in a few months (this years crop just released)
I'm fairly certain you could find a place where you could buy a few pounds to last you the rest of the year. If not Simcoe is different, but an amazing dry hop(in small amounts, too much and its catty).
I find chinook to be too dank for dry hopping, I like it for bittering additions in my darker beers.
I have no experience brewing with glacier or Ahtanum, but I have had commerical examples with them. I really like glacier for bittering but haven't had it as a dry hop.
I say experiment :mug:

NorthNJipa said:
wont the harvest not be for another couple months? But yes, i'm guessing simcoe, amarillo and citra will be the most seeked hops again this year

Yeah, the US harvest wont be available for some time longer. Maybe he's in the southern hemisphere?

My plants are full and large, but are just now getting small buds. I wont do the first harvest for at least 1 month.

passedpawn said:
I've made a 100% Chinook rye ipa. 4 oz dry hop per carboy. It's on tap right now, come on over and see if you like! I know I do. Mmmmm....

+1 chinook APA

It's not just Amarillo... Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe are all quite popular. They are the three most sought after hops for American hoppy ales because they have such a potent aroma. Other hops are rare because they are unique, or not grown in abundance, such as El Dorado, Sorachi Ace, Galaxy.

If you're looking for some pretty good hops aside from those included above, then try Nugget, Summit, Centennial, Horizon, Northern Brewer, Chinook, and Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ).

If you're looking for some pretty good hops aside from those included above, then try Nugget....

I started growing my own Nugget hops last year (got 1 oz.), and I made an old-style in January that turned out quite well using Nugget for bittering & Northern Brewer for aroma. Nugget is a great high-alpha substitute for just about any other high-alpha hop imho.

I find that 3/4 cascade + 1/4 columbus comes darn close to Amarillo. Cascade and Amarillo are so close, with amarillo having a little bit more of a catty/danky edge to it.

We get hooked on certain hops, this season seems to be citra, amarillo and simcoe. AMAZING beers can be made with other hop varieties like stated above. Here are some of my staples and my experience with them

Northern Brewer hops- are underrated and in conjunction with some other hops, make a great american hoppy ale. Here are some of my favorite hops that should be available.

Chinook - my favorite hop all time, late in the boil i taste tropical fruit, pine and grapefruit

Summit - used late in the boil, citrus/musk, like Nelson Sauvign or Citra on steroids

Nothern Brewer - mildly wood, minty, citrusy...just tasty

Nugget - pine/spice/wood - underrated

Willamette - so underrated, makes great beer, mild, floral, faint citrus. Smooth

Glacier - fantastic orange marmalade aroma at the end of the boil

Columbus - for my money, this hop gives you the most bang for the buck on the dry hop , citrus, dank,catty goodness

Liberty - faint spice, I find a great citrus quality when used for dry hopping

I recently opened up pounds of Galena and Millenium and I will report back...these hops are new to me.

I've used Ahtanum as an excellent substitution for Amarillo before and it turned out great. I was trying to make a Red's RyePA clone and the LHBS was out of Amarillo... used Athanum instead (as rec'd by the guy at LHBS) and I was very happy w/ the resulting brew.

Latest posts

Back