Amarillo by morning......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
Ok Folks-
hae never had the pleasure of tasting Amarillo hops, but I have read enough on here that it may even be my favorite (eve though I never had it!). Anyways, I saw Brew Acadamy's youtube video on Amarillo Steam which looked good, but was wondering if anyone out there had the mother of all mother Amarillo recipes on hand, 5 gallon batches. Peace:ban:

Good luck finding Amarillo right now. In my neck of the woods there gone (But not forgoten)

Thehopguy said:
why is it so hard to find amarillo? High demand? Low supply?

I'm not sure it is still like this but originally the farmer who created amarillo wouldn't let anyone else grow it so the supply is low.

Try Midwest suppies amarllo pale ale. Dry hop it with an oz of Amarillo, not included with kit. Great beer, I did it with the 1332 yeast, love that beer. Last time I was at Midwest, they had Amarillo. Brew & Grow in spring lake park, MN does too. They do mail order on the intertron.

i believe midwest has amarillo pellets and an amarillo pale ale kit. the pellets are more than twice as expensive as any other hop though.

I LOVE amarillo, possibly my favorite hop, I can't wait for fall to come around because I'm stocking up. If you really want to experience it just brew a lighter IPA showcasing it.

10lbs 2-row
1lbs Crystal 60

Mash at 152 for 60min

.5oz Warrior 60min
1 oz Amarillo 15min
1 oz Amarillo 10min
1 oz Amarillo 5min
1 oz Amarillo 2min

1056 American Ale yeast, Dry hop 1 oz Amarillo 7 days before bottling

This would give you a standard American IPA, 5.5-6%ABV, 60-ish IBU, full on Amarillo scent and taste. Mix it with Simcoe and you have IPA heaven.. Too bad both are tough to find right now. Good luck!

If you want a commercial example of Amarillo, try Three Floyds Gumball Head. Rumor has it it's an all-Amarillo brew.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Try Midwest suppies amarllo pale ale. Dry hop it with an oz of Amarillo, not included with kit. Great beer, I did it with the 1332 yeast, love that beer. Last time I was at Midwest, they had Amarillo. Brew & Grow in spring lake park, MN does too. They do mail order on the intertron.

This. I brewed it and it is just finishing carbing now. Could definitely uses an oz for dry hopping to make it that much better, but the recipe is excellent.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Dude, it's like SNPA, but with Amarillo hops instead of cascade. You're gonna love that beer. :mug: What yeast did you use?

Can't remember off the top of my head it was the wyeast just can't remember which one. I've already tasted a few and boy are they tasty.

This is killing me. I want one so bad but with the price of Amarillo right now plus shipping (no local HBS) I would have to shell out at least $40 for kit or ingredients using US-05

Can't remember off the top of my head it was the wyeast just can't remember which one. I've already tasted a few and boy are they tasty.

The wyeast 'upgrade' as they say was 1332. But I'm sure it would be great with any American ale strain. I'm down to my last 6 pack man, enjoy 'em while you got 'em, they go fast.

Boomtown, it might be worth it if you like APAs and wanna try Amarillo hops. It's definitely a kit I'll brew again, and again. I'm sure the us05 would work just fine, the malt flavors and bitterness are very similar to SNPA, so the Chico strain should be great for this beer.

There are several varieties of hops in short supply this year. I think it was a bad growing season. You will have to look around. I believe More Beer has some Amarillo.

I was lucky enough to pick up 5 oz of Amarillo in London, ON, this afternoon. An all-Amarillo-IPA in a few days!

B

It is an Amazing hop, i have a Rye Brown Ale that i hit with 4oz for the dry hop, and it is awesome.

The wyeast 'upgrade' as they say was 1332. But I'm sure it would be great with any American ale strain. I'm down to my last 6 pack man, enjoy 'em while you got 'em, they go fast.

Boomtown, it might be worth it if you like APAs and wanna try Amarillo hops. It's definitely a kit I'll brew again, and again. I'm sure the us05 would work just fine, the malt flavors and bitterness are very similar to SNPA, so the Chico strain should be great for this beer.

Just drank one and by far my best brew I've made (~6 or so total). I'm gonna be making it again definitely.

Glad I found this thread... I've got about 6 oz of Amarillo in my freezer, good to know I got it while the gettins were good :). Think I'm going to do Midwest's recipe for my next brew... with some dry hopping :). Thanks all!

So I did it. I pulled the trigger and ordered the kit from Midwest and threw in 2 oz of Amarillo for dry hopping as well!

So I did it. I pulled the trigger and ordered the kit from Midwest and threw in 2 oz of Amarillo for dry hopping as well!

You won't be disappointed. It's by far my favorite I've brewed so far, if I would have known to dry hop it I would have been so much happier. There is always next time and that will be here in a month or so.:D

Realized that I ordered 2 oz for dry hopping. Should I use all of it for dry hopping or just 1 oz and save the other ounce for a rainy day?

How does this sound? I love SMaSH beers with MO as the malt and know i'm convinced i need spme amarillo in my life. Thoughts?

Amarillo SMaSH

Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012
Bitterness (IBU): 55.6
Color (SRM): 6.2
ABV: 4.9%

[Grains]
Maris Otter Malt 10.000lb Grain 100.0%

[Hops]
Amarillo 1.00oz 8.0% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 30.8 IBU
Amarillo 1.00oz 8.0% AA Pellet @ 20 min, 18.6 IBU
Amarillo 1.00oz 8.0% AA Pellet @ 5 min, 6.1 IBU
Amarillo 1.00oz 8.0% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop

[Yeast/Other]
Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast S-04

[Recipe Notes]
Mash at 155 for 60 min.

[Batch Notes]
Sparge at 170. Batch sparge.

Never done dry hopping. Have a simple IPA about a week and a half into fermentation. It used cascade for both bittering and aroma. Think It would be a good combination to dry hop with Amarillo and if so. How long should I do it for, primary or secondary, and how much? (never dry hopped before but interested in trying)

Hackinjeebs said:
Never done dry hopping. Have a simple IPA about a week and a half into fermentation. It used cascade for both bittering and aroma. Think It would be a good combination to dry hop with Amarillo and if so. How long should I do it for, primary or secondary, and how much? (never dry hopped before but interested in trying)

I just put them in to a hop bag and put in to the primary for last week or two of month long primary then remove at bottling.

That's typically what I use but it depends on what your going for. Some beers are dry hopped with much more... Some less. Start with an ounce for a week then see where it's at and add mire for another week if you like.

FastAndy said:
Go figure, the LHBS is out of Amarillo, any ideas for a decent substitute?

Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial or Summit would provide near approximations.

BeerEagle said:
Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial or Summit would provide near approximations.

I know Centennial is in stock, its like a stronger Cascade correct?

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back