Am i the only one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
I know I can't be the only one who does this. Every time I walk pass my fermentor and I see a bubble I quickly stick my nose over the air lock. Sometimes I sit there for hours!

I too will hang my nose over the airlock when I pass by the fermenter....but not for hours, just a quick whiff to smell the progress of the tasty brew.

Ok maybe not for hours.... But enough time for my wife to say "really? WTF are you doing over there" I think I might bottle the scent and call it "barley pop el perfumeo".

That's one of my favorite things to do when I have an active fermentation going. I sit in my fermentation closet with a brew and a cigar and just watch the yeast do their thing. It's better then the s*** that's on tv!

That's one of my favorite things to do when I have an active fermentation going. I sit in my fermentation closet with a brew and a cigar and just watch the yeast do their thing. It's better then the s*** that's on tv!

Dang straight. My wife gets mad at me for talking about the bubbling. I know I sound as bad a woman with a bun in the oven, but I feel like a proud dad everytime I hear it. :D

My brew ferments in a small bathroom, so when I walk in the room I smell the yeast fermenting. Nice.

NRS

Guilty! I use an old chest freezer as a fermentation chamber, I check it 2 times a day so a great build of brew scents and CO2 builds up and awaits me everytime I open the lid.

One of my friends lived in an efficiency apartment and she liked to do small batches (1-3 gallons). She had 6-10 going at once so every time I came over it was a symphony of bubbling by her bed. I was jealous. My most recent batch I used whiskey in the airlock (ran out of vodka) so that's all I smell :mad:

BrewForMe said:
Guilty! I use an old chest freezer as a fermentation chamber, I check it 2 times a day so a great build of brew scents and CO2 builds up and awaits me everytime I open the lid.

Same! It's a beautiful thing.

Yup, can't help it. Have spent a good 10 mins watching and smelling before. Annoyingly my current one is in the fridge so if i open it too much it gets a bit warm :-(

I have to pull the floor of my kitchen up to get down into my celler, so I don't walk by the fermenter very often.

I actually set it and forget it :mug:

I too am an airlock sniffer. And a bubble counter. Right now I have almost three a second.

BrewForMe said:

That's awesome!!!

ruralbrew said:
I too am an airlock sniffer. And a bubble counter. Right now I have almost three a second.

Good counting! Keep it up!! Air lock sniffers UNITE!! We are here to stay they can take away our mugs but they never! NEVER! Will take away OUR air lock!

Guilty. I love that smell. Unless it's cider. Rhino farts. Yuck.

I've also sat there for a good half an hour during active fermentation just watching it churn. My wife thinks I'm crazy:mug:

Ok, I wanna be an airlock sniffer like the rest of you...however, sniffing the airlock on my second batch (Belgian Witbier) now has me worried...why am I smelling something sulfer-y/fart-y? My bucket is sitting in a swamp cooler and at first I thought it was the water in the swamp cooler but then I sniffed the airlock and it's the primary emitting that somewhat stinky little smell. Today is day 2...please hold me and tell me everything is going to be alright.

declanhalpin said:
Airlocks are just gateways to blowoff jars (that's where the real buzz is...)

YES! The CO2 and the aroma in the blowoff vessel are practically hallucinogenic! You're transported back to another time and place, when people took pride in their handy-work.

I actually made my buddy take a whiff just yesterday. He was hesitant at first but it is an intoxicating phenomena.

Ok, I wanna be an airlock sniffer like the rest of you...however, sniffing the airlock on my second batch (Belgian Witbier) now has me worried...why am I smelling something sulfer-y/fart-y? My bucket is sitting in a swamp cooler and at first I thought it was the water in the swamp cooler but then I sniffed the airlock and it's the primary emitting that somewhat stinky little smell. Today is day 2...please hold me and tell me everything is going to be alright.

Some brews will just do that. I've never done a proper lager (just a california common hybrid), but I from what I've read, lagers are pretty bad. Cider is hands down the worst I've experienced. Sulfurous death. The several wheat beers I've done have had a hint of it too. It'll be fine. Fermentation can be an ugly, smelly, beautiful thing.;)

My name is Levi, and I'm an air-lock sniffer.

I figure the phrase 'watching paint dry' originated from a painter observing his handywork in a moment of sheer pride - no different here. I'll sometimes just go into the office where my fermenters are busy, and just sit... the Sig-O thinks I'm crazy.

declanhalpin said:
Airlocks are just gateways to blowoff jars (that's where the real buzz is...)

Ohhh that's a good idea ...guess who's leaving work early now? This guy!

I too will hang my nose over the airlock when I pass by the fermenter....but not for hours, just a quick whiff to smell the progress of the tasty brew.
^ This

And checking the progress of my blonde ale yesterday was sweet! such a delicious aroma.

For every person on here giving a testimonial, there are two others too busy sniffing to give theirs. Please make a note in your statistics.

Um I am lucky I remember it is in the closest. I have to check my binder just to remind me when to check my gravity. You all have to much time on your hands.

Back