Am I the only one that bottles directly from carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownalemikie

Reaction score
Since upgrading from one gallon batches to 3 gallon batches I've continued to bottle from carboy to bottles via auto siphon and a bottling wand. Plus, I use sugar cubes to prime each bottle. Anybody else?

Seems most guys/gals transfer to bottling bucket. Thanks!

I'd say you're in a small minority, just my opinion. Do the sugar cubes work for you? I've heard mixed reviews.

Since upgrading from one gallon batches to 3 gallon batches I've continued to bottle from carboy to bottles via auto siphon and a bottling wand. Plus, I use sugar cubes to prime each bottle. Anybody else?

Seems most guys/gals transfer to bottling bucket. Thanks!

I always wanted to bottle straight for primary, but could not figure out how to mix in priming sugars without disturbing the yeast cake or without having to mess around with individual bottle priming such as your doing, and I wasn't going there.
I have since heard of a brewer that just pours his dissolved sugar right into primary and then waits one hour before bottling...he says its well mixed up on its own by then....I haven't tried it yet.
But I always hated transferring to secondary just to mix in priming sugars myself...always seems like a wasted step.
I might try it on my daughters next gluten free batch...they are the only ones I bottle anymore.

I'd say you're in a small minority, just my opinion. Do the sugar cubes work for you? I've heard mixed reviews.

Yes, cubes work great...perfect carbonation. Thanks to Flars for suggesting it about 4 months ago. I use Domino Dot sugar cubes (198 per box).

I always wanted to bottle straight for primary, but could not figure out how to mix in priming sugars without disturbing the yeast cake or without having to mess around with individual bottle priming such as your doing, and I wasn't going there.
I have since heard of a brewer that just pours his dissolved sugar right into primary and then waits one hour before bottling...he says its well mixed up on its own by then....I haven't tried it yet.
But I always hated transferring to secondary just to mix in priming sugars myself...always seems like a wasted step.
I might try it on my daughters next gluten free batch...they are the only ones I bottle anymore.

See my previous post regarding sugar cubes! One cube per bottle...works great!

I just put a little sugar in with a teaspoon and a funnel into each bottle.

I use a bottling bucket. I brew in two one gallon fermentors so if there are any small differences between them the bottling bucket blends them. Also, I was concerned that the malt pills I was using before might have a small amount of yeast or wild bacteria that long term could be detrimental to my beer. Beyond that I can calculate and execute exactly 2.15 volumes of CO2 or whatever and also after racking to my bottling bucket I worry less about filling my bottles with trub because any excess trub sinks down to a very thin layer in my bucket.

How do you sanitize the sugar cubes to make sure you aren't introducing bacteria to your beers? When I add sugar to my bottling bucket I boil some water with the sugar to help kill any nasties.

How do you sanitize the sugar cubes to make sure you aren't introducing bacteria to your beers?

Hmmm, good question. Never thought about it. However, when you order 1 gallon recipe kits they supply Fizz Drops to carbonate in the bottle. After 30 batches I've never had any infection. Actually, each batch has been perfectly carbed with excellent flavor.

Back