Am I sane?? tell me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
I'd like some input on this recipe. I came up on a ton of hops and want to do a hopped up IPA. I might be going overboard, who knows. :ban:

3.5gallon post-boil

Space Zythrillo
Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) 4.0 lb 50 % Steep
2-Row (US) 2.0 lb 25 % Steep
Dextrose (Corn Sugar) 1.0 lb 12 % Boil
Dry Malt Extract - Munich 1.0 lb 12 % Late Boil

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz 60 min First Wort Pellet 9.3%
Zythos (US) 2.0 oz 60 min First Wort Pellet 11.0%
Galaxy (AU) 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 14.2%
Galaxy (AU) 2.0 oz 10 min Boil Pellet 14.2%
Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 9.3%
Zythos (US) 1.0 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
Amarillo (US) 2.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.3%
Zythos (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 11.0%

Safale US-05

If it is your taste, go ahead! Personally, I would cut back on the bittering hop amount...especially for a 3.5 gallon batch. But, that's completely up to you. If stripping the enamel off your teeth is your thing...BREW ON!

Just a thought. If you're looking for a very aromatic and flavorful hoppy IPA go with a ton of later additions. For example, I made a IIPA a while back and the hop schedule went as such:

FWH Bravo 1oz

10 minutes Cascade 1oz; Centennial 2oz; Bravo 1oz; Willamette 2oz

Dry Hop Bravo 2oz; Centennial 2oz

HUGE hop flavor and aroma without that extremely bitter bite that you'll get from the 60 additions that you have right now.

4 lbs of Crystal has got to be a typo, right? If not, then I will answer the title of your thread with a "No," you most certainly are not sane for putting that much crystal in a 3.5 gallon batch :)

I think you need to get more DME, use 5 lbs maybe (guessing here, haven't plugged this into software), cut the crystal back to like 8% of the total grain bill. The 2-row needs to be mashed, not steeped like the recipe states, but you might already know that.

It also seems like a lot of hops for FWH and 60 min boil. Maybe move the Amarillo from FWH to 10? Again, haven't plugged it into any software, it just looks like a lot at the beginning. I like the late & dry hops.

If it is your taste, go ahead! Personally, I would cut back on the bittering hop amount...especially for a 3.5 gallon batch. But, that's completely up to you. If stripping the enamel off your teeth is your thing...BREW ON!

Just a thought. If you're looking for a very aromatic and flavorful hoppy IPA go with a ton of later additions. For example, I made a IIPA a while back and the hop schedule went as such:

FWH Bravo 1oz

10 minutes Cascade 1oz; Centennial 2oz; Bravo 1oz; Willamette 2oz

Dry Hop Bravo 2oz; Centennial 2oz

HUGE hop flavor and aroma without that extremely bitter bite that you'll get from the 60 additions that you have right now.

I thought the FWH mellows out in the end rather than giving huge bitterness. maybe i should cut out the full oz at the 60min boil and leave the FWH?

Thanks for the input! im still new so its nice to hear what you have done in the past brews! :mug:

4 lbs of Crystal has got to be a typo, right? If not, then I will answer the title of your thread with a "No," you most certainly are not sane for putting that much crystal in a 3.5 gallon batch :)

I think you need to get more DME, use 5 lbs maybe (guessing here, haven't plugged this into software), cut the crystal back to like 8% of the total grain bill. The 2-row needs to be mashed, not steeped like the recipe states, but you might already know that.

It also seems like a lot of hops for FWH and 60 min boil. Maybe move the Amarillo from FWH to 10? Again, haven't plugged it into any software, it just looks like a lot at the beginning. I like the late & dry hops.

Boydster, you might have saved my life more than once now lol im not too experienced with the grain department at all apparently. i might go with 4 or 5 pounds of the dme instead. I trust your opinion 100% but may i ask why its crazy to put that much crystal?

That is A LOT of bittering additions. I prefer less bittering additions and more flavoring/aromatic additions. I would probably change it to look like this:

60 min Galaxy 0.5 oz
20 min Zythos 2 oz
15 min Amarillo 1 oz
10 min Galaxy 1.5 oz
5 min Amarillo 1 oz
0 min Zythos 1 oz
Hop Stand Galaxy 1 oz

I think this would give you a lot of flavor and still plenty of bitterness without making it difficult to drink.

FWH is smoother, but 3oz of it is still a ton, especially in a 3.5G with another oz at 60. I just replace my 60s with FWH when I use them and go a lil higher.

like has been mentioned, 4#s of crystal is insane. you should be using maybe 1/8th of that.

also, just an fyi if you're using 2row, thats a partial mash not a steep. you need to hold it around 150F for at least 30mins.

FWH is smoother, but 3oz of it is still a ton, especially in a 3.5G with another oz at 60. I just replace my 60s with FWH when I use them and go a lil higher.

like has been mentioned, 4#s of crystal is insane. you should be using maybe 1/8th of that.

also, just an fyi if you're using 2row, thats a partial mash not a steep. you need to hold it around 150F for at least 30mins.

I'll replace that 60min with the FWH then! this will be my first time with FWH so i wasnt sure.

and with the 2-row, the system i use auto selects steep for some reason, i went in a changed it! Thanks man!

Boydster, you might have saved my life more than once now lol im not too experienced with the grain department at all apparently. i might go with 4 or 5 pounds of the dme instead. I trust your opinion 100% but may i ask why its crazy to put that much crystal?

Crystal malts tend to have a lot of longer-chain sugars that aren't going to ferment, leaving a thicker body and some residual sweetness.

Crystal malts tend to have a lot of longer-chain sugars that aren't going to ferment, leaving a thicker body and some residual sweetness.

ok, i switched it up per your suggestion and ordering more DME in place of the crystal!

:off: This might sound like a dumb question but, is it plausible to mix half vile of wlp300 with the ca05 yeast for a recipe like this? id hate to throw the wlp300 away after i make my first hefe:off:

I'm with the others who said the bittering hops is a little (ok a LOT) over the top. I'd definitely consider omitting the first Galaxy addition if nothing else.

I removed the 60min. Thank you every for the help and suggestions!

Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz FWH
Zythos (US) 1.0 oz FWH
Galaxy (AU) 1.0 oz FWH
Galaxy (AU) 2.0 oz 10 min
Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz 5 min
Zythos (US) 1.0 oz 0 min
Amarillo (US) 2.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop
Zythos (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop

despite being only 3.5G you should be using the full vial in the hefe, half would be underpitching.

im going for some strong banana notes and i read that underpitching and stressing the yeast along with higher fermenting temps would help produce that more. :drunk:

Back