am i ready to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Reaction score
I used a Northwestern kit, called Wascal Wheat Bavarian Weisen. I started with a hydrometer reading of 1.032 and now I'm reading 1.012. The kit says that when you reach 1.012 to 1.020, you are ready to bottle. However, instructions also say that when you experience bubbles more than once every 90 sec. it's not ready for bottling. I'm seeing bubbles once every 40-45 sec. Do you think it's okay to bottle at this point?

Also, I want to make certain I am understanding this correctly...am I now at 3% alcohol by volume??

Thanks, Luke

I used a Northwestern kit, called Wascal Wheat Bavarian Weisen. I started with a hydrometer reading of 1.032 and now I'm reading 1.012. The kit says that when you reach 1.012 to 1.020, you are ready to bottle. However, instructions also say that when you experience bubbles more than once every 90 sec. it's not ready for bottling. I'm seeing bubbles once every 40-45 sec. Do you think it's okay to bottle at this point?

Also, I want to make certain I am understanding this correctly...am I now at 3% alcohol by volume??

Thanks, Luke

No. I am assuming that this has only been in primary for a few days.

Thanks, Luke

You are at (1.032-1.012*105)*1.25 = 2.625% ABV
1.032-1.012*105 = 2.1% ABW

The directions on those kits are very vague and generic. How long has it been in primary? With a wheat brew you should go a couple weeks in primary, no secondary, then bottle if gravity is stable. Your at about 62% attenuation and there's still CO2 being produced so fermentation is probably not complete. Let 'er sit a while and be sure gravity is consistent for a few days before bottling.

No!!!!
It is letting off too much C02 you will blow the bottles up.
The brew will need at least 10 days fermentation time.
Also i am not familiar with this brew but the starting gravity seems low.
Please if you post a question like this state how many days and what was in the brew
Eg sugars, dme, kits and water quantity..

also it only hadthemalt extract/bittering hops/aroma hops/safbrew weast wb-06.....it was just a kit.....first timer here

I am a n00b as well, I love it how so many kits vary on their directions. I thought mine was well wrote until I got on here seen read where they go wrong. Basically I have learned this:
1) Leave beer in primary for two weeks minimum (sometimes longer)
2) Skip secondary unless you are dry hopping
3) Let lighter beers bottle condition for a minimum of 3 weeks, heavier beers longer per taste.

Now.... two weeks ago, I couldnt have said that :) damn it feels good to be a brewer ;)

Those were some of the worst instructions ever written??? Three days then you racked? Do you realize that sometimes yeast don't even START fermenting for 72 hours...

Sheesh...

Sheesh is right. From now on leave your brew in primary one week minimum, preferably more, and secondary really isn't necessary for a wheat beer (or any beer depending on who you ask) because they don't need to clear or age and are best drank young. Oh well, live and learn. Give it another week, if gravity is consistent over a few days, bottle and wait a few weeks before drinking.

Back