Am i Gonna Die if i Drink This???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn_Brewin

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time poster, long time reader. i apologize for the long ass post but thought i would get all the info out there to save the obvious replies.

So a Buddy and i brewed a Amber Ale in the summer and we split the 10 Gal batch between the two of us. I was making it for one of the beers for my wedding so i didn't want to go to crazy on the dry hopping since most of my family is BMC drinkers. my friend on the other hand my friend bottled 2 Gal and with the other 3 Gals he dry hopped them with 4 oz of Cascade to get a real hop punch out of the beer.
A couple days later he got a hurt at work and was bed ridden for 2 weeks. i came over about 2 weeks and a couple days after the hops were pitched and the thing was still sitting there. I racked it into a 3 Gal keg for him and we figured we would see what "vegetable" taste really was! a few days later we sampled and it was like eating dirt. pretty much a waste of beer. He pulled the lines off it, and pulled it out of the fridge and set it on the floor in his basement.(roughly 60-62*F)

Fast forward 5 months and when we where doing a brew day the other day i noticed the keg sitting on his floor. i inquired about it and he said he just had not gotten around to throwing it down the drain yet. as we popped the keg open we noticed it still had pressure in it, so as i started to pour slowly he dumped a glass under it and said "gotta try it" and i am glad he did. the Strong vegetable taste was gone down to a slight taste with a great Malty flavour and a decent bitter flavour in your face. it isn't the best beer i have ever had but i have definitely had worse.

So my long winded question is: Am i Crazy to be drinking this stuff? had a couple glasses over the last two days and all have had happen is the feeling of Satisfaction and some wicked Gas… Another thing to add is that it has gotten a lot darker in colour. like from a nice Amber colour to a Dark Brown. I know Oxidization could do that but the thing was sitting in a Pressurized Keg so i can't see that happening.

Greatly appreciate any insight or thought. thanks guys! :tank:

If it's palatable then drink away. There are some threads on here about not pitching your beer because it tastes funny. Time can heal all beer wounds.

If it tastes ok then there's no real worry about it harming you if that's what you're worried about. The darkening is probably oxidation. Just because it was in a pressurized keg doesn't mean it didn't get oxidized along the way somewhere before kegging. That may be why it's not the best beer you've ever had.

Drink up and Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving. I know you guys have thanksgiving but don't remember which day

Nothing can grow in beer that will kill you.

Nonetheless, yes you will die, it is inevitable, it just (most likely) won't be from this beer.

Hope that helps. Drink up.

Back