Am I getting a secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I brewed a Summer wheat kit from Austin homebrew 12 days ago. Original gravity was 1.049 Took a reading last night and it was 1.010. Figured fermentation was done so I took it out of the fermentation chamber and it's been resting in my kitchen for 24 hours. Was going to transfer in the secondary/keg to let sit for a week or two. When I got home from work I noticed that the airlock has started bubbling very slowly again. Is this bad or is this normal because of the temp that raised obviously over the 24 hours. I fermented at 66° in my house is set at 73

I brewed a Summer wheat kit from Austin homebrew 12 days ago. Original gravity was 1.049 Took a reading last night and it was 1.010. Figured fermentation was done so I took it out of the fermentation chamber and it's been resting in my kitchen for 24 hours. Was going to transfer in the secondary/keg to let sit for a week or two. When I got home from work I noticed that the airlock has started bubbling very slowly again. Is this bad or is this normal because of the temp that raised obviously over the 24 hours. I fermented at 66° in my house is set at 73

When the temperature of the beer rises, the dissolved co2 will be released more readily, causing airlock bubbling.

Barometric pressure changes do that too.

It could be just off gassing due to the temperature change causing excess co2 to come out of solution. If in doubt take another gravity reading.

If you are going to keg it you don't have to worry about more fermentation causing bottle bombs.

Taste it. If it tastes good you can go straight to the keg. Or secondary if you really want to.

Oh no you ruined your beer. You should bottle it and send it to me. I'll be very sure to dispose of it properly ha;)

Hahaha, so I take it in fine. I've tested twice to FG and it's been steady at1.010. . So I'm good correct? I have two kegs in the kegerator now but I took this one out of my ferm chamber to be able to brew another. Should I just rack it to secondary and let it chill till I'm ready to carb it up? Or just leave it at room temp about 73-75 in my house till it stops. Sorry unusually am anxious to rack and carb it so early right after fermentation has completed I've never let sit at a say room temp for this long (which was a suggestion on here) to maybe eliminate some as all I can describe it as a "homebrew" taste to it. To let it age a bit. Does it matter on an ale if it's at room temp or a controlled temp?

Back