Am I done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aholloway17

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Brewed my next batch it's a slightly modified La Chouffe. When I filtered it into the carboy the OG was 1.084. 10 days later the FG is 1.024. I know the airlock is not a good measure of fermentation but there is one bubble about once a minute. So, is it done or should I give a couple more days?

Thanks,

I think you might want to give it a couple days and then check it again. If 1.024, then you're done.

What yeast did you use?

Still bubbling is still fermenting. Leave it be. 10 days is not long enough for a 1.084 beer. Give it at least a month and you'll be much happier with the results.

We need to know more about your recipe and process. Is 1.024 your expected FG? At a minimum you should check it several days in a row and if it's the same value for multiple days, fermentation is done -- if it goes down it's still fermenting. In 10 days the yeast could be finished but letting it sit longer won't hurt it and will allow them to clean up any byproducts that may cause flavors you don't want and further drop out of suspension for a clearer product. I would wait -- I usually give my beer a minimum of three weeks for primary fermentation.

I know it's hard to wait! Good luck, I hope that was helpful.

Definitely still fermenting. Plus a strong Belgian will benefit if you let it age a little bit.

What yeast did you use?

Still bubbling is still fermenting. Leave it be. 10 days is not long enough for a 1.084 beer. Give it at least a month and you'll be much happier with the results.

+1. 10 days is waaaaaay to short for a big beer. The last one I did I left it for 5 weeks and I wish I would have left it for another week. Then it took about another 6 weeks in the bottle to really get good. I had one the other day after 8 weeks and it was awsome.

Bigger beer take even more patience. Brew another beer and forget about this one one for a while.

Fine weeks in primary fermentation....holy cow! Well I guess that answers my next question as to just how long can wort sit in a carboy! LOL

Thanks All, I'll let you know what happens

How long it can sit depends on the beer, your belgium is fine but others will not benefit from picking up the taste of yeast. Good luck man.

I'm still a newbie so please forgive the elementary questions. I 've done a lot of reading but obviously there is a lot I need to learn about brewing and beer. What makes Belgium such a big beer, is it the alcohol content?

What makes Belgium such a big beer, is it the alcohol content?
More like the sugar content, which in the end will factor into your alcohol content. A gravity over 1.08 is pretty big and will take a while to reach final gravity. Then you want to let the yeast clean up a bit. Take another reading in a couple of days and let us know if it dropped any. I brewed a belgian wit this past weekend that had a OG of 1.049, so not all Belgians are big.

the original gravity is what makes any beer style 'big'. not all Belgium beers are 'big' (take a Wit for example)...but there are indeed several Belgium styles known for their big grain bill and thus high ABV content.
1.084 is definitely up there...I've never made a beer that big, but I've done a braggot that was 1.090 I think and it did take a bit to ferment, and age.

Back