Aluminum pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VincentOates

Reaction score
Is it okay to use aluminum over stainless steel. I don't care about being fancy, I just don't want anything bad to happen.

Yes you are fine. Check the first sticky under "Equipment/Sanitation."

There are many advantages to using aluminum pots. Very few disadvantages. Get a thick pot that is at least 50% larger than your finished batch volume so that you avoid boil overs.

I got a new 40 qt for around 45 bucks shipped on eBay. Stainless at that size would've been into the hundreds. Check out the equipment section, lots of good info there. Just make sure you boil some water in it for about an hour when you get it, then you're good to go! They may not look as pretty as stainless, but I'll take function over fashion any day, especially if it saves me a couple hundred bucks!

I use this one. Works great for $38.

For SS, my LHBS just got some 9 Gals. in with 1 weld for $70 or 2 welds of $80.

Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting that hb.org link, I found those before and didnt bookmark it and have been looking for it for days :cross: I think I'm going to get the one-weld + valve for my new boil kettle then put a thermometer and valve in my current 32qt aluminum for my HLT. NICE :ban:

It is fine but you need to boil a full batch of water for an hour and pour it out first. This seasons the pot and gets rid of any possible aluminum flavor. You will know when you have done it right because the inside of the pot will turn from shiny to dark (almost look dirty) where the water was. Do not use the water you do this with.

I use this one. Works great for $38.

For SS, my LHBS just got some 9 Gals. in with 1 weld for $70 or 2 welds of $80.

I have 2 of the 2 weld SS pots. It's a damn fine deal for 100.00 each, which is what it is with shipping to your door price. The pots aren't perfect however. The lids are thin and cheap but that's not a major issue. The biggest cons I found is the bottom is pretty thin gauge, thinner than the walls it seems in fact so the risk of scorching is probably significant. The second issue is the upper coupling is a little high so it takes like 3.75 gallons to cover it, and since you are using it for a thermometer and possibly as a mash vessel (which is what I am using one of them for, the other for spare water and boil) you might need more strike water than you planned. If they would have lowered the upper welded coupling an inch it would be much better to mash in. And finally just to help folks out who might be buying one of these pots, MoreBeer has them for $89.00 with free shipping so if you are outside of CA they are 10 dollars cheaper from MoreBeer.

I have one of each: a 10 gallon SS and a 10 gallon aluminum. I've been using the aluminum pot for almost 10 years now with no issue. You will be fine using it, like many others have already said.

I recently switched from SS to aluminum when I went from five to 10 gallons. The only thing negative I have to say thus far is that bottling 10 gallons at a time really sucks... :)

okay great, thanks for letting me know. The people at my lhbs suggested that I dont use aluminum, but they never said why. I probably should have asked them at the time lol. Well aluminum seems like the smart decision for me.

I was looking at some aluminum pots in Walmart today. A lot of their stock pots are aluminized steel and non stick surfaces. So the inside is black. This shouldn't be a problem if I decide to get a pot from there, right? The only thing I can think of is that I wouldn't get that protective 'dirty' look on it after first use.

yea i wasn't exactly sure what aluminized steel meant.
i think I will probably go with the one neovox suggested.

Back