Aluminum Mash Paddle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezy

Reaction score
There are a ton of wood and stainless mash paddles out there; I know all about the Alum/SS brewpot talk...what's the word on aluminum mash paddles?

Fire away HBT! :rockin:

christian-bale-batman.jpg

To get back on topic:

Sure but square

I've not seen anything made from aluminum that would make a solid mash paddle... At least not yet. It's easy to get/make a wood paddle, it's also very easy to buy a SS (or make one if you have the right tools) paddle.

IF you can locate something that will work, or you think will work, try it out. I would just put it into some boiling water (enough to cover beyond where you think wort will ever touch it) for a solid 30-45 minutes before you use it the first time. I would also make sure that it's not going to scrape your mash tun (if it's a converted cooler)... If you're using a keggle/kettle mash tun, you shouldn't have any issues there.

I've been thinking about converting one of the spears I pulled from the Sanke kegs into a mash paddle... Just don't have the tools where I am to do it. Of course, I could [probably] just go to a welding/machine shop and get them to adapt it...

Aluminum conducts heat so well the handle might get a touch hot...reminds me of Thanksgiving years ago, the stirling silver gravy boat handle would get so hot and render it useless...hah.

I've not seen anything made from aluminum that would make a solid mash paddle... At least not yet. It's easy to get/make a wood paddle, it's also very easy to buy a SS (or make one if you have the right tools) paddle.

IF you can locate something that will work, or you think will work, try it out. I would just put it into some boiling water (enough to cover beyond where you think wort will ever touch it) for a solid 30-45 minutes before you use it the first time. I would also make sure that it's not going to scrape your mash tun (if it's a converted cooler)... If you're using a keggle/kettle mash tun, you shouldn't have any issues there.

I've been thinking about converting one of the spears I pulled from the Sanke kegs into a mash paddle... Just don't have the tools where I am to do it. Of course, I could [probably] just go to a welding/machine shop and get them to adapt it...

Good call on the sanke dip tube! I have one or two that I need to find a use for.

Back