Alternative hops for English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I'm entering a competition at a local brewery for an English IPA and wanted to go a little off the beaten path so my beer doesn't taste like every other Maris Otter/EKG beer. My malt bill is pretty set, so I'm basically looking for some feedback on hops. Here's what I got so far:

OG 1.068
87% Maris Otter/Golden Promise blend (50/50)
10% red wheat malt
3% English Crystal 45

60min - 50 IBU of bittering

I want to add a big dose of hops at flameout and do a 30min whirlpool/hopstand. I was thinking of throwing in some nobleish hops as an interesting addition to traditional English hops. Something like 2oz EKG, 2oz Saaz, 1oz Santiam.

Any other thoughts for that extra differentiating factor? I admit that this is sorta applying American IPA techniques to a British brew, but I'm honestly just doing this for fun and want to put my beer on the fringes of the style in hopes it's more noticeable.

I don't think that is in any way on the fringes of the style neither historically nor based on modern British brewing practice.

Saaz and EKG is a combo I've used before and it's refreshing and floral. You could add a minor contribution of Willamette or Cascade. Fuggles is good as a clean earthy hop that could pair. First Gold could enhanced the orange of EKG bit also has earthy notes. Northdown and Fuggles would be a good herbal / earthy mix. You could also consider, for their own merits, Target, Spalt, Celeia, Admiral, Progress, Pilgrim, Archer, Bishop, Minstrel, WGV, Liberty.

Ah yes, the old methods.

I just don't want a beer too dominated by EKG. I like the First Gold idea, I'll see what the shop has. Thanks

I'll be brewing an ordinary bitter with a newer hop called Triskel (3.9% AA), which is a descendant of French Strisselspalt and English Yeoman. Descriptors include floral, fruity, citrus, and orange marmalade (doesn't get any more British than that!).

Unfortunately I won't have the beer brewed in time to give you a good impression of the hop before you brew, but it's not a standard EKG/Fuggle, so it's at least worth considering.

Try using Progress and WGV. Keep the recipe simple and let the ingredients do the work. Use Maris Otter and about 5% medium crystal. Keep the ABV to about 4.5%.

Add just under one ounce each of Progress and WGV to the boil and just over half an ounce of WGV in the last 10 minutes. Use a dry English yeast such as WLP007.

This combination will give you a dry, well ballanced beer with a malty, hoppy and fruity finish. Simple and delicious.

I'm a big fan of Bramling Cross, although they can be hard to find. You also didn't mention which yeast you were using. It's pretty much an afterthought in American IPAs, but there are so many British strains to choose from that can provide a variety of results.

I like Santiam. But for English hops, Northdown and WGV are very good alternatives. Northdown has a bit more citrus and AA then EKG and WGV are less floral than EKG. I've gone through quite a bit of Northdown ordinary bitters and WGV milds. They are both user friendly when playing in British Beer Space.

I also like Palisade for its consistent, clean bittering ability in British beers. The latest refinement of my bitter uses palisade for bittering and Northdown for flavor.

Back